I live down a quiet road

hezzle

English - England
I was wondering how one would say "I live down a quiet road"

I don't know what word you would use as the 'down' part of the sentence, perhaps auf?

'Ich wohne auf eine kleine Straße" ??

dankeschön!

• Frank78

German
    It's "in* einer Straße wohnen" (to live on a road/street) in German but I think you're looking for "Ich wohne am Ende einer ruhigen Straße". I only know "go down the road", so I assume "live down the road" means "at the end of the right", right?

* sometimes "an einer Straße" is also possible, if there is no specific name is stated, e.g. "Ich lebe an einer vielbefahrenen Straße".

Last edited:

hezzle

English - England
    Thank you Frank78; when I say "I live down a quiet road" I mean I live anywhere along this road (not necessarily at the end of the road). So perhaps the correct translation would then be your last option "ich wohne an einer ruhigen Straße" ? because I am not stating the specific name of the road?

Thanks again!!

Frank78

German
    Thank you Frank78; when I say "I live down a quiet road" I mean I live anywhere along this road (not necessarily at the end of the road). So perhaps the correct translation would then be your last option "ich wohne an einer ruhigen Straße" ? because I am not stating the specific name of the road?
    Ah ok, so "an" or "in" is possible then.

"An" does not work in sentences like: "Ich wohne an der Goethestraße".

manfy

German - Austria
    So perhaps the correct translation would then be your last option "ich wohne an einer ruhigen Straße" ? because I am not stating the specific name of the road?
    :thumbsup:
    When you're referring to a named street (within a town/city), you'd usually say "ich wohne in einer ruhigen Straße". But when you're referring to a wide open, unnamed countryside road, you'd say "ich wohne an (or entlang) einer ruhigen Straße".
    It doesn't really matter whether you're stating the name or not, it depends more on the fact of being a named city street or an unnamed country road.

< Previous | Next >