I live/reside in/at

Genetor

Russian - Moscow, Russia
Hello,

Which of the following sentences are grammatically correct?

1. I live in apartment 3 at 27 Oxford Street in London.
  2. I reside in apartment 3 at 27 Oxford Street in London.
  3. I live at apartment 3 at 27 Oxford Street in London.
  4. I reside at apartment 3 at 27 Oxford Street in London.
  5. I live at apartment 3 27 Oxford Street in London.
  6. I reside at apartment 3 27 Oxford Street in London.
  7. I live in a flat in the new house on Oxford Street in London.
  8. I reside in a flat in the new house on Oxford Street in London.

I apologise for asking this question, as I know that similar questions were asked several times before, but I couldn't find anything specific about the use of prepositions of place when there is a need to include an apartment number in an address.

• Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    You could probably do with some commas, and personally I find "reside" to be rather stuffy so I wouldn't use it.

1. I live in apartment 3 at 27 Oxford Street in London. That's ok.
    2. I reside in apartment 3 at 27 Oxford Street in London. No, don't like "reside".
    3. I live at apartment 3 at 27 Oxford Street in London. That's ok, but not quite as good as 1.
    4. I reside at apartment 3 at 27 Oxford Street in London. No, don't like "reside".
    5. I live at apartment 3, 27 Oxford Street in London. Add the comma and it's fine (or substitute "in" with another comma).
    6. I reside at apartment 3 27 Oxford Street in London. No, don't like "reside".
    7. I live in a flat in the new house on Oxford Street in London. That's fine and sounds natural.
    8. I reside in a flat in the new house on Oxford Street in London. Eugh, sounds very stilted.

So in brief, No. 5 with the comma is my preference.

Genetor

Russian - Moscow, Russia
    Thank you, Ann. Could you please elaborate a little bit more on "reside"? Sometimes I have to write very formal requests and replies, would the use of "reside" be justified in such cases, or is it too formal a word for modern business correspondence?

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    As sonorous said, reside is not appropriate and sounds pretentious or pompous. It is no longer used in common parlance so you shouldn't use it even in the most formal circumstances.

You might use it if you deliberately want to give the impression of being extremely posh, but that would be done as a deliberate "mickey-take" of posh people rather than what a posh person might actually say.

< Previous | Next >