I look down the line

prepre

Chinese
There's a English song goes like " I look down the line, and I wondered."

I think is means that when I read the following line, I feel perplexed.

I am not sure if I am right. Can anyone help me?

I think it is a gospel song.

• LaszloPhotographer

English
    It was probably "I looked down the line and I wondered."

In this usage, "line" is vague and probably means nothing more than looking into or anticipating the future.

Elwintee

England English
    There's a English song goes like " I look down the line, and I wondered."

I think is means that when I read the following line, I feel perplexed.

I am not sure if I am right. Can anyone help me?

I think it is a gospel song.
    As is so often pointed out, we need more context. We need as much as possible of this song in order to figure out the meaning. Incidentally, it can be difficult to hear words accurately when they are sung, and I think the line you give should probably read "I looked down the line,...", as the verbs should agree in tense.

prepre

Chinese
    Line here means the railway line. It is looked in the song. He looked along the length of the railway line. Later he refers to dog by the railway track, the curve of the earth (horizon) and the sky.
    http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/t/the_drones/i_looked_down_the_line_and_i_wondered.html
    Thank you. But I think the song I am looking for is sung by Sister Tharpe.

And yes, the correct sentence should be "I looked down the line, and I wondered."

This sentence appears in the beginning quote of James Baldwin's novel Go Tel it on the Mountain.
    Sorry, I don't have the full text of the song. But I want to know what it means by "the line".

< Previous | Next >