English, Portuguese
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help me with a doubt I frequently have:

"I love to communicate with people"
"I love communicating with people"

and

"I did attempt writing a book"
"I did attempt to write a book"

Are both these versions correct? Or is there one which is more correct than the other?

Thanks in advance!

• Matching Mole

England, English
    In your first pair, both are correct, it's really a matter of style.

In your second pair, the second is good, the first sounds a little awkward to me. However, the "did" may be wrong if you simply want to say "I attempted to write a book." Putting "did" in there, makes an emphasis which may not be appropriate. Can you put it in context by writing something before and after this sentence?

Pedrovski

English, Portuguese
    In your first pair, both are correct, it's really a matter of style.

In your second pair, the second is good, the first sounds a little awkward to me. However, the "did" may be wrong if you simply want to say "I attempted to write a book." Putting "did" in there, makes an emphasis which may not be appropriate. Can you put it in context by writing something before and after this sentence?
    For example:

"I did attempt writing a book but procrastination got the better of me."

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello,
    I was wondering if someone could help me with a doubt I frequently have:

"I love to communicate with people":tick:
    "I love communicating with people":tick:

and

"I did attempt writing a book":cross:
    "I did attempt to write a book":tick:

Are both these versions correct? Or is there one which is more correct than the other?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Pedrovski. Both of your "communicate" sentences are fine although the use of the word sounds a little strange in this context. "Communicating" does not specify what it is you love - do you like to talk with people, write newspaper articles aimed at people, correspond with people in writing? All of these would be considered "communicating". Notwithstanding this little bit of confusion on my part, either sentence would be correct.

In your second question, you can see that I've indicated that the first sentence is incorrect. You've used the past tense in these sentences ("did attempt") and, as a result, you cannot use "writing". Having said that, I'm sure you'd commonly hear this phrasing in casual conversation often ("I tried writing a book but gave up") but, in my opinion, it's incorrect.

Matching Mole

England, English
    Yes, that's fine, that is one of the effects of using "did" in this sentence, the reader expects a follow up statement, often "but". I have to say that "I did attempt to write a book" is better than "attempt writing".

Pedrovski

English, Portuguese
    Yes, I did think that that second sentence didn't sound too good.
    Thank you both for your help.

< Previous | Next >