I love you --> me too / you too

Leonel Junior

Mexican Spanish
Hi
Is it ok to respond to someone who says "I love you" me too?
I'm asking because when someone says "Nice to meet you" you say, "you too" and not "me too", does this apply to "I love you" as well?

Thanks

Leon

• roonie

English(UK)-Spanish(ES)
    I don't think it is a gramatical mistake or anything but most people would reply i love you too

grubble

British English
    It is usually seen as a joke because it means "I love me too"! However it is a harmless joke.

John: I love you
    Mary: Me too
    John: He he! I know you love you but do you love me?
    Mary: Of course I love you too.

So really there is no way of abbreviating it.

fenixpollo

American English
    The analogy you draw is between "nice to meet you" and "I love you", but these are not similar sentences. For one, "(It was) nice to meet you" is passive voice; "I love you" is active voice.

- (It was) nice to meet you.
    - (It was nice to meet) you, too.

In addition, "I love you" expresses deep feelings, while "nice to meet you" is just a polite phrase.
    - I love you.
    - I love you, too.

If you want to say "me, too", you can say that, although in some situations in may be interpreted as less sincere than saying "I love you, too." Also, it's probably not grammatically correct, but that's the accepted way of saying it.

Suzie166

English - UK
    For me, 'you too' means '[It is/was nice to meet] you too'. It's simply an abbreviation.

You could, in theory, use the same response to someone saying that they loved you, although I would be careful with this, and perhaps only say it in casual circumstances, such as saying goodbye to a friend.

e.g. 'Bye! Love you!'
    'You too!'

Personally, if I told someone that I loved them, and their response was 'me too' or 'you too', I would be offended. It sounds very flippant and insincere. 'I love you too' is really the best response. Assuming it's true of course ;)

Leonel Junior

Mexican Spanish
    Thank you all for your responses, it is clear now to me.
    just for the record, I have said "i love you" in the past and all I got once was "thanks", that's even worse... :(

Have a terrific weekend y'all!

< Previous | Next >