I love you (my friend)!

GingerbreadGirl

Italy-Italian
Hello everybody,
I would like to say to a friend of mine that I miss him and that I love him (in a friendly way!). How would it be written in Arabic and how should I pronounce it?
Please, be understanding, I don't know anything in Arabic, unfortunately!:eek:
Thank you.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Improved transliteration:
    ayed said:
    Laqad ishtaqtu laka kathiiran ya Sadiiqi
    Furthermore, this translation does not include "I love you." It just says "I miss you a lot, my friend."

To include "I love you," you could say something like

لقد اشتقت لك كثيراً يا صديقي العزيز.
    Laqad ishtaqtu laka kathiiran ya Sadiiqiya 'l-3aziiz.

The extra word means "dear" (so "my dear friend") and it expresses the idea that you love your friend in a friendly way.

Josh_

U.S., English
    But, if you wanted to say it, you should say it to him according to the dialect he speaks. In the event he is Egyptian you can say it like this:

inta waHishni ya saHbi il-3aziiz.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Good point - I didn't notice that you said "I would like to say..."

In Palestinian Arabic it would be

Shta2tillak (ktiir) ya Saa7bi 'l-3aziiz

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Anatoli said:
    Do you mean baHabbak/baHabbik conveys a stronger feeling, Elroy?
    Generally, yes. It's so strong I don't think I've ever actually said it to anyone. ;)

Anatoli

Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
    I see, thanks. By the way, in Japanese these words do exist but are never used to express the feelings. I never thought Arabian people are too shy. :)

GingerbreadGirl

Italy-Italian
    elroy said:
    Improved transliteration:

Furthermore, this translation does not include "I love you." It just says "I miss you a lot, my friend."

To include "I love you," you could say something like

Laqad ishtaqtu laka kathiiran ya Sadiiqiya 'l-3aziiz.

The extra word means "dear" (so "my dear friend") and it expresses the idea that you love your friend in a friendly way.
    Your suggestion sounds perfect, I only hope to be able to write, or hopefully, say these words to him in the right way! The problem between me and this friend (he's from the Emirates) is that he speaks so little English and we can't communicate as we would like to do! Oh, sometimes I hate that Tower of Babel story...
    Anyway, thanks for your help!
    GY

GingerbreadGirl

Italy-Italian
    Just a little question: would it be the same :

Laqad ishtaqtu laka kathiiran ya Sadiiqiya 'l-3aziiz

in Emirates Arabic?
    Thanks
    GY

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, because it's in MSA, which is almost a "Pan-Arab form"; i.e. you can use it and be understood in any Arabic speaking country.

Anatoli said:
    I never thought Arabian people are too shy. :)
    It's not about being shy, it's only a matter of context. The use of baHibbak/baHibbik is used between lovers, but it would sound a bit strange between friends, unless of course there's a context permitting this (something like : "I tell you this advise because I love you", or something like that. Here the "baHibbak/ baHibbik" is more of "I care for you" than I love you).

< Previous | Next >