I may call it an early night today...

• Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    What does that sentence means? Maybe it's like I may stop working early night today or what? Thank you...
    Today seems pretty superfluous in this sentence. "I may call it an early night" is a common phrase that means someone is contemplating going to retire for the night and go to sleep or they have already decided and are breaking it softly to their guests. "I'm going to call it an early night" is more of a statement of fact amongst closer friends or family because it doesn't allow the option of talking that person out of it. Both forms, however, are nice and colloquial, but not in the slightest bit impolite.

nexus

italian, italy
    Mi suonava bene tradurla
    "Oggi facciamo sera presto" ma non so se è un modo di dire che si usa in tutta Italia.

Carthusian cat

Italy
    Mi suonava bene tradurla
    "Oggi facciamo sera presto" ma non so se è un modo di dire che si usa in tutta Italia.
    In effetti credo sia un regionalismo. Qui non l'ho mai sentito..
    Io piuttosto direi:
    stasera non facciamo/si fa tardi
    oppure
    stasera a letto/nanna presto
    :)

Starsmile

Italian
    Today seems pretty superfluous in this sentence. "I may call it an early night" is a common phrase that means someone is contemplating going to retire for the night and go to sleep or they have already decided and are breaking it softly to their guests. "I'm going to call it an early night" is more of a statement of fact amongst closer friends or family because it doesn't allow the option of talking that person out of it. Both forms, however, are nice and colloquial, but not in the slightest bit impolite.

Thank you, a complete explication, a bit difficult but I'm satisfied...

< Previous | Next >