I might as well have done it in my own blood

AlexanderIII

Russian
Dear all,
this is from the novel Zoli by Colum McCann. Stránskiy, the editor-in-chief, commissions the narrator with taperecording Gypsi songs sung by Zoli. The narrator agrees and remarks:

I might as well have done it in my own blood.

It's clear that remark is regretful. Does it mean that the commission eventually ended up with bloodshed?

• AlexanderIII

Russian
    He [editor-in-chief, Stranskiy] tested it [taperecorder] out and his voice came back to us: "It’s made in Bulgaria, I hope it works".
    How inevitable it is; we step into an ordinary moment and
    never come out again. I raised my glass and signed on [accepted the commission]. I might as well have done it in my own blood.

Barque

Tamil
    Thanks.

I raised my glass and signed on [accepted the commission]. I might as well have done it in my own blood.
    He means he might as well have signed the commission in his blood, instead of ink. I'm not sure why he says that but perhaps he means he became so
    committed to it that it was as if he had signed it using his blood.

Could you please give us the next couple of sentences too?

AlexanderIII

Russian
    Thanks.
    Could you please give us the next couple of sentences too?
    The equipment fitted into a small rucksack. I strapped it on
    my back and rode Stránsk´y’s Jawa out into the countryside.
    Under the grove of trees, I killed the engine and waited.

Barque

Tamil
    Thank you. Perhaps it's explained later in the story why he says he might as well have signed it in blood. The meaning seems to be that he ended up very committed or very involved in what he had to do.

< Previous | Next >