I <might as well> hear it from you

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Ellison, a true-crime writer, with his family is moving into a new house to write about a crime happened in this house (only Ellison knows it happened there). His wife Tracy is trying to keep their kids away from the story.
TREVOR: Well, I'm gonna hear about it in school, anyway. Kids'll hate me again and tell me nonstop about what happened.
ELLISON: Hey, nobody hates you.
TREVOR: Well, I might as well hear it from you.
Sinister, movie

I'm not sure about the meaning of 'might as well' here. There's two basic meanings:
1. used to suggest doing something because you cannot think of anything better to do
We might as well sit down while we’re waiting.
You might as well enjoy your money while you’ve got it.

2. used for saying that it would not make any difference if you did something else
The meeting was a complete waste of time. I might just as well have stayed at home.
Which way am I to understand that?
Thank you.

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I suppose it's your second definition. Trevor has two options: hear about it at school, or hear about it from Ellison.
    It would make no difference (or rather, hearing about it at home would be no worse than hearing about it at school).

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I see now I got the "it" in Trevor's line wrong. I thought it referred to Ellison's line "nobody hates you". If Trevor had said "about it" instead of just "it", it'd not be ambiguous to me.

Thank you !

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Yes, in looking for the antecedent of "it", we have to skip past "Nobody hates you" and go back to "the story" that you mention in your introduction.
    I also was puzzled the first time I read it.

< Previous | Next >