I must have felt pretty weird by that time

< Previous | Next >

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "I must have felt pretty weird by that time" means in the following sentences:

I hadn't gone twenty yards when I heard my name and Gatsby stepped from between two bushes into the path. I must have felt pretty weird by that time, because I could think of nothing except the luminosity of his pink suit under the moon.
"What are you doing?" I inquired.
"Just standing here, old sport."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby, Chapter 7

Daisy, her husband Tom, her lover Gatsby, her relative Nick, and her friend Jordan went to the Plaza Hotel, where her husband and her lover started an argument saying that it was him that Daisy loved. Tom then and there revealed that Gatsby earned his fortune through not very noble routes, upon which Daisy was astounded and lost her love for Gatsby. Seeing that the relationship between the two was already crumbling, Tom generously allowed Gatsby to drive Daisy home in his yellow car. But on its way, Gatsby's yellow car hit Myrtle, Tom's mistress, and instantly killed her. Tom, driving behind the yellow car, decided that it was Gatsby who killed her. Nick, who returned from the hotel to Tom's house and was waiting for the taxi in Tom's yard, heard Gatsby calling his name and found him there.

In this part, I could not understand how Nick was feeling pretty weird. Does it mean that his condition was weird...?
I would very much appreciate your help.

• Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Keith Bradford,

Thank you very much for the comment.
    I remember that although they had tried to drink some mint julep, the intense argument between Tom and Gatsby prevented all of them from drinking anything.
    So I guess the latter is the case. Hearing the argument between Daisy's two lovers, and witnessing Myrtle's death, Nick must have felt all of the experience was just overwhelming.
    I really appreciate your help. :)

lingobingo

English - England
    Just before that, Nick says: “I was feeling a little sick.” Hardly surprising, when he’d just got caught up in the aftermath of a fatal accident.

< Previous | Next >