I mustn't get bogged down in details

< Previous | Next >

harry1999

Marathi, Hindi
The word is “bog down.” I know its semantic meaning. I am confused about the sentence structure and how it is used in passive manner. I am trying to figure out the object of the passive voice sentence.

The sentence given below is a dictionary example.

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/bog_2

I mustn't get bogged down in details (meaning to prevent somebody from making progress in an activity.)

It’s given in the dictionary that “bog down” is usually used in passive sentences. Also, it says this phrasal verb can be used as “bog something/somebody down in something.” Is it a separable phrasal verb?

If it is a separable phrasal verb, then can a direct object be placed between the verb its particle or after the entire phrasal verb?

If above sentence is true, then the sentence should also be,

*I mustn't get bogged in details down.

I think it’s not correct, and I don’t know how.

Please advice.

• RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    It’s given in the dictionary that “bog down” is usually used in passive sentences. Also, it says this phrasal verb can be used as “bog something/somebody down in something.” Is it a separable phrasal verb?

If it is a separable phrasal verb, then can a direct object be placed between the verb its particle or after the entire phrasal verb?

If above sentence is true, then the sentence should also be,

*I mustn't get bogged in details down.

I think it’s not correct, and I don’t know how.
    Yes, the direct object can be placed in the middle of the phrasal verb. However, "in details" is not the direct object of that sentence (which has none) and cannot be placed there.

harry1999

Marathi, Hindi
    Oh, yes. It is not DO, it's prepositional object?

Its usage is like "bog something/somebody down in something"

..in details - is it a prepositional object?

< Previous | Next >