I named the dog.

RD74

Hello,

Can anyone please help me translate the following sentence into Italian:
“I named the dog”.

My translation attempt: “Ho chiamato il cane”.

There is no special context to this sentence. I am trying to make sure that I am using the correct Italian verb in this sentence. I think the verb should be the transitive verb - “chiamare”. I do nor know for certain, so I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you

Sincerely,
Rich (RD74

• anglomania1

UK English
    I assume you mean you "gave the dog its name:!
    This would be something like: io ho dato il nome al cane.

Io ho chiamato il cane is wrong, it means you called the dog/shouted it's name to get it to come to you.
    Hope this helps!
    anglo

Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    Hi anglo, that depends on what Rich meant.

Ho chiamato il cane Bobby, Tom, Fufy and so on is fine too.

Or, ho chiamato il cane to come back to me.

But as far he used named I presume he meant my first meaning

RD74

Hello and thank you to all,

Would I be correct to say that there is no actual verb in Italian that literally means “to name” and that “chiamarsi” is used instead?

I understand that “chiamarsi” means “to call oneself” and is used to apply a name as in saying “Mi chiamo Rich” (I call myself Rich or My name is Rich)

Thank you

Rich (RD74)

Emma Neve

Italian
    Hi RD74,
    if you need to emphasize that you were the one who gave the name to the dog, in Italian you could say:

Sono stato io a dargli il/quel nome (male dog)
    Sono stato io a darle il/quel nome (female dog)
    or
    Gli ho dato io il/quel nome (male dog)
    Le ho dato io il/quel nome (female dog)
    or
    il/quel nome gliel'ho dato io

anglomania1

UK English
    Hi anglo, that depends on what Rich meant.

Ho chiamato il cane Bobby, Tom, Fufy and so on is fine too.

Or, ho chiamato il cane to come back to me.

But as far he used named I presume he meant my first meaning :tick:
    But "chiamato" only works here IF you use the name of the dog. If you don't say 'Bobby, Tom, Fufy' etc you have to use something else.

Einstein

UK, English
    I find "I named the dog" rather strange; when I saw it as the thread title I thought it meant "Ho fatto il nome del cane", in the sense that there were a number of dogs and I said which one I meant, or which one was guilty etc.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I find "I named the dog" rather strange; when I saw it as the thread title I thought it meant "Ho fatto il nome del cane", in the sense that there were a number of dogs and I said which one I meant, or which one was guilty etc.
    I thought the same thing, as "I named the dog" without further context could mean either "I gave the dog a/its name" or "I identified which dog it was." The confusion about "chiamare / chiamarsi" suggests the query is about the former, but it's not entirely clear.

RD74

Hello to all,

Please excuse any confusion that I caused. I was trying to understand the usage of "chiamare" vs "chiamarsi". Thanks to all of you - I think I have made some progress in this attempt. I very much appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Rich

< Previous | Next >