I nearly burst my stitches

Mikeo38

English (British)
Context:
You're in hospital recovering from an operation and someone tells you a really funny joke.
"I laughed so much I nearly burst my stitches."
Might one say in French: "J'ai failli peter mes sutures." (?)
Or not?
Thanks in advance.
M

• Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    Yes, you can say that. j'ai failli péter mes points de suture - m'exploser les sutures.
    Généralement, on précise "point de suture" et non seulement suture.

mehoul

french
    Non ça ne va pas.

On pourrait dire: "j'ai rigolé à m'en faire péter les points (de suture)". Je pense qu'il est évident qu'ils n'ont pas réellement lâché.

joelooc

French (Provence)
    How about "J'ai manqué de peu faire sauter..."?
    j'ai manqué (de) + infinitive is a popular way of saying j'ai failli + infinitive: adding "de peu" is possible but it adds something that was not in the original sentence and it interferes with the omission of (de) because the correct grammatical structure is "j'ai manqué de faire sauter", so it makes the resulting sentence sound somewhat weird as if the speaker hesitated between two possible structures. Not sure I'm being very clear:rolleyes:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Merci, joelooc (also "de peu de faire" wouldn't sound very smooth - deux 'de' :) !) I think, though, that "nearly ("almost') does convey the idea of "de peu" ("it was a close thing"): are you saying this isn't conveyed by the "failli/manquer (de)" structure in French?

joelooc

French (Provence)
    On the contrary; I nearly fell= j'ai failli tomber/j'ai manqué (de) tomber (you usually drop the "de"). So "de peu" is somewhat redundant.

< Previous | Next >