I need a conjunction to unite these sentences

Sempai

Spanish-Spain, English-US
I'm working on my graphic design class final paper and I'm trying to find the right word to get these two sentences united or expressed differently. Please help!!!

In addition, Vector images are more efficient at the time of storing them<here>Bitmap images because instead of storing each pixel the mathematical depict will be the one to store.

• Revontuli

Turkey-Turkish
    Hello,

Here's my suggestion:

In addition, Vector images are more efficient at the time of storing than Bitmap images; because, instead of storing each pixel, the mathematical depict will be the one to store.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I like Revontuli's suggestion, I would either (1) leave out the semicolon between images and because,
    or (2) omit because and leave out the semicolon.

A semicolon is used to join two complete sentences. Because makes the second part a subordinate clause rather than a complete sentence. That is why I would use only one or the other.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Welcome to the forum, Sempai.

I hate to say it but I think the sentence needs tidying up a little.

In addition, Vector images are more efficient (more efficient at what? and are they really only efficient at the time of storing, but not later?) at the time of storing than Bitmap images; because, instead of storing each pixel, the mathematical depict will be the one to store. (this suggests that the mathematical depict is doing the storing, which must be wrong, surely?) I find it hard to know what to suggest, because the meaning is still obscure.

I wonder if you mean: In addition, Vector images take less space, because in them the mathematical depict is stored, rather than each separate pixel.

Sempai

Welcome to the forum, Sempai.

I hate to say it but I think the sentence needs tidying up a little.

In addition, Vector images are more efficient (more efficient at what? and are they really only efficient at the time of storing, but not later?) at the time of storing than Bitmap images; because, instead of storing each pixel, the mathematical depict will be the one to store. (this suggests that the mathematical depict is doing the storing, which must be wrong, surely?) I find it hard to know what to suggest, because the meaning is still obscure.

I wonder if you mean: In addition, Vector images take less space, because in them the mathematical depict is stored, rather than each separate pixel.
    You are correct. That's what I meant. But what is previous to this sentence (In addition, Vector...) on my final I never spoke about how the Bitmap images are stored. I really like your suggestion. But somewhere in the sentence, I would need to add the Bitmap word in order to make the contrast for Vector vs Bitmap...

Revontuli

Turkey-Turkish
    I like Revontuli's suggestion, I would either (1) leave out the semicolon between images and because,
    or (2) omit because and leave out the semicolon.

A semicolon is used to join two complete sentences. Because makes the second part a subordinate clause rather than a complete sentence. That is why I would use only one or the other.
    Thank you for this ''warning'', Cagey. My mistake was to use a Turkish sense while doing that.

Aardvark01

British English (Midlands)
    Hi Sempai,
    welcome to the forum.

In addition, Vector images are more efficient at the time of storing them<here>Bitmap images because instead of storing each pixel the mathematical depict will be the one to store.

It is best to avoid using a word (store) three times in a sentence. We call unnecessary repetion 'redundacy'.

Also, 'at the time of storing them' implies 'the moment at which you press the 'save' button'. This phrase is redundant because a vector file is not only efficient at that moment but all the time.

A depiction (of a line or shape) is what you see on your screen, whereas what is stored is the concept (of a line or shape). This is what allows vector images to be zoomed in and out without losing resolution.

In vector systems there is not only one mathematical model so we do not use the definite article 'the'.

Thus I would rephrase like this:

In addition, Vector images are more efficient than Bitmap images because instead of saving each pixel a mathematical concept is stored.

Sempai

Hi Sempai,
    welcome to the forum.

It is best to avoid using a word (store) three times in a sentence. We call unnecessary repetion 'redundacy'.

Also, 'at the time of storing them' implies 'the moment at which you press the 'save' button'. This phrase is redundant because a vector file is not only efficient at that moment but all the time.

A depiction (of a line or shape) is what you see on your screen, whereas what is stored is the concept (of a line or shape). This is what allows vector images to be zoomed in and out without losing resolution.

In vector systems there is not only one mathematical model so we do not use the definite article 'the'.

Thus I would rephrase like this:

In addition, Vector images are more efficient than Bitmap images because instead of saving each pixel a mathematical concept is stored.
    Simple, sharp, direct and understandable. Just what I what i was looking for.

Sempai

Now I finally have it figured out. I need to improve my English. I'm glad i found this site. Thank you all for your help. You guys are great. :)

Wilma_Sweden

Swedish (Scania)
    I vote for Aardvark's solution, but I have a huge caveat: why do you insist on capitalising Vector and Bitmap? In my grammar book, neither word has the quality typical of capitalised words in English. I would have written vector and bitmap without inital capitals in running text. What you do with headlines is another matter.

/Wilma

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    In addition, Vector images are more efficient than Bitmap images because instead of saving each pixel a mathematical concept is stored.:cross:

I couldn't put it because vector images aren't efficient in themselves; they are an efficient way of doing something. I also would try to avoid the passive at the end.

I'd prefer:

In addition, Vector images store data more efficiently than Bitmat ones, because they record a mathematical concept rather than saving each pixel.

< Previous | Next >