I need a neutral synonym for "edutainment"

< Previous | Next >

peterpqa

English - U.S.
Okay, wordsmiths and vocabularians. Here's a challenge for you:

I am creating a cable/satellite TV channel guide card for a senior citizen residence. One side has channels listed by channel genre. I need a word to describe science/nature/history channels as a group - e.g., Animal Planet, Biography, Discovery, History, NASA, TLC, etc.

"Edutainment" is the most accurate word I've come up with so far, but it's a disparaging term, and seniors may not understand it anway. "Information" or "Informational" is too nonspecific, "educational" implies taking a class on TV, or a PBS program. "Enrichment" sounds like get-rich-quick schemes. "Edification" is too hoity-toity.

Any suggestions?

Edit: How about one or two words encompassing lifestyle channels (e.g., food/cooking, travel), "edutainment" (science, nature, history), and how-to/do-it-yourself? This as opposed to so-called "reality" programming with artificially concocted situations like "Survivor" and its evil spawn - "Amazing Race", "Biggest Loser", etc.

Last edited:
  • iskndarbey

US, English
    How about "documentaries"?
    "a film or TV program presenting the facts about a person or event"

WordReference's definition for documentary also links to "docudrama" and "infotainment".
    'Documentary' is a type of program more than a type of programming. There are many programs on those channels that are not documentaries and there are many documentaries on other channels.

peterpqa

English - U.S.
    So far, "edutainment" is the best word for what I'm looking for, but I HATE it, and 80- and 90-year-olds may not understand it. sdgraham, if you're in that age stratum, I salute you.

Copyright

American English
    Considering the size of the universe, and the depth of penetration by NASA, perhaps Our World and Just a Bit Beyond. :) But we don't want to bore the old folks.

< Previous | Next >