I <need help with / need to help> my English?

sky753

Chinese
Hello Everyone,

The question is from the muti-choice of the English test of my junior high school son. I don't quite understand it.

My English is so poor, so I ____________ my English.
A. Need help with B.need to help C. Need for helping D.need helping

From my son, the answer is A. I would like to know if B ok. And what is the equivalent in spoken English?

Best regards

Sky

• bennymix

B does not make sense. Compare, "My grandfather is very weak, so I need to help him climb the stairs."

Perhaps you have in mind this, which does work, "...so I need to improve my English." (similar to B)

Please note that the sentence is awkward, non-native sounding: It has two 'so's' and mentions English twice.

A native-live sentence would be "My English [Persian, Russian, etc.] is quite poor, so I need help with it."

Last edited:

sky753

Chinese
    B does not make sense. Compare, "My grandfather is very weak, so I need to help him climb the stairs."

Perhap you have in mind this, which does work, "...so I need to improve my English." (similar to B)

Please note that the sentence is awkward, non-native sounding: It has two 'so's' and mentions English twice.

A native-live sentence would be "My English [Persian, Russian, etc.] is quite poor, so I need help with it."
    Thanks for your time. And I would also like to know. In standard spoken English, which is most common for the above meaning, need help with my English, need to improve my English or others?

< Previous | Next >