I never saw any budding genius myself, and there he is, all the rage

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(para. 17) by Lawrence(the University of Adelaide,here):
"You’re quite wonderful, in my opinion," she said to Connie. "You’ve done wonders for Clifford. I never saw any budding genius myself, and there he(Clifford) is, all the rage."Aunt Eva was quite complacently proud of Clifford’s success. Another feather in the family cap! She didn’t care a straw about his books, but why should she?
Well, the word "genius" is likely to refer to "any other talented people" and just "the talents showed in Clifford". Which one is possible please?
Thank you in advance

• Barque

Tamil
    From the limited context, it appears that the word "genius" is being applied to Clifford. Note the sentence "Aunt Eva (probably the person speaking to Connie in this passage) was quite complacently proud of Clifford's success."

I understand it as: I never saw any signs of genius in Clifford myself. But you seem to have, and you've done wonders for him.

Last edited:

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you. I also tended to understand it as yours, but one Chinese version translates it as: I never met a talented person.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'm not sure if you want confirmation of anything, but that Chinese translation "I never met a talented person" is so poor that I would say it is wrong.
    The aunt had never noticed any sign of (budding) genius in Clifford.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I believe he is telling us what Chinese version of the sentence means.

The question is whether the Chinese represents the English accurately. We seem to agree that it doesn't.

< Previous | Next >