I never went back on a good bit of fucking, myself

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 418, chapter 18) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Malcolm asked Mellors if he had a good sex with his daughter Connie, Mellors said good, Malcolm said…)

‘I’ll bet it was! ……My daughter, chip of the old block, what! I never went back on a good bit of fucking, myself. Though her mother, oh, holy saints!’ He rolled his eyes to heaven.

I understand the blue sentence to be I myself never refused(=went back on) a large amount of (=a bit of) f u c k i n g(meaning sexual actions or women?).

Is that possible please?
Thank you in advance

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    Yes, that is the meaning. "I never turned down good sex". "Good bit" here can reference both the quantity and quality of the sex.

Barque

Tamil
    I've been reading the book through your questions, Long, and the main thought in my mind is that every single character in the novel sounds quite unpleasant. :) But it seems to be teaching you a fair bit.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you so much, everyone.
    I've been reading the book through your questions, Long, and the main thought in my mind is that every single character in the novel sounds quite unpleasant. :) But it seems to be teaching you a fair bit.
    I'm happy I can bring you into the book.
    In this particular sentence I think it must refer to the quality.
    But why didn't Malcolm just use good fucking? A good bit of fucking is much more confusing, because it's likely to mean a good deal of fucking(quantity), or good fucking(quality).

andrewg927

English - American
    Thank you so much, everyone.
    I'm happy I can bring you into the book.
    But why didn't Malcolm just use good fucking? A good bit of fucking is much more confusing, because it's likely to mean a good deal of fucking(quantity), or good fucking(quality).
    Novelists like their novels enshrouded in mystery. That and given the novel was written in the 1920s, clarity was not a priority.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It's colloquial, and it usually means "quite a lot of", and that's how DHL has used it elsewhere in the novel.

There is a good bit of profanity, a good bit of bitterness, a good bit of acid humor, but none of these ready aids to action quite rang true in Mr. MacGill's particular corner of the trenches.

Theatre Magazine (1930)

Now, thirty pounds is a good bit of money to me." " It is a good bit of money to any one," said Maclaren.

"a good bit of" - Αναζήτηση Google (1884)

In context it seems to me that it's more likely to mean "a really nice bit of...", but Dretagoto in #2 is probably right.

< Previous | Next >