I never would've imagined that it would've brought me to here

felicity.zyy

Chinese
I was, uh, five when it happened. No one knew who did it. That's why I became a cop to find out. I never would've imagined that it would've brought me to here, but it has.
Source: Once In A Blue Moon script -- www.charmedscripts.tv

I’m very confused about the sentence “I never would've imagined that it would've brought me to here”. I will be more likely to say "I have never imagined that it would bring me to here". What's the difference between these two sentences?

• dojibear

AE (US English)
    "I have never" is past. It talks about things that actually happened. She never (in the past) imagined this.

"I would never have" is subjunctive, theoretical. It is not the real past.

So this "would have" sentence says "It is so unlikely that, not only did I never imagine it, it is impossible that I ever would imagine it."

It's a way of saying "No reasonable person would ever guess that what happened to me at age 5 would have here (the current situation) as a result."

felicity.zyy

Chinese
    "I have never" is past. It talks about things that actually happened. She never (in the past) imagined this.

"I would never have" is subjunctive, theoretical. It is not the real past.

So this "would have" sentence says "It is so unlikely that, not only did I never imagine it, it is impossible that I ever would imagine it."

It's a way of saying "No reasonable person would ever guess that what happened to me at age 5 would have here (the current situation) as a result."

Thank you very much. Is "it would've brought me to here" here also subjunctive? Or is it just the past tense of "it will have brought me to here"?

dojibear

AE (US English)
    I think it is subjunctive. I don't think English has a "past tense of" a future perfect tense (will have done something).

suzi br

English / England
    It’s a script representing a conversational style.

I think someone writing this idea formally would probably avoid that double “would’ve”

felicity.zyy

Chinese
    It’s a script representing a conversational style.
    I think someone writing this idea formally would probably avoid that double “would’ve”

Thank you very much.
    1. I never would've imagined that it would've brought me to here.
    2. I never would've imagined that it would bring me to here.
    I understand "I never would've imagined", but I still don't understand what the difference between these two sentences is. Could you tell me about that?