I overshot my target weight!

amateurr

Russian
How would you translate this statement "I overshot my target weight." into Russian?

"I haven't eaten in ten days and I overshot my target weight."

Спасибо!

• elemika

Russian
    А что Вас смущает?
    Человек целых десять дней не ел и зашел далековато (проскочил мимо намеченного веса; сбросил даже больше, чем собирался):
    to overshoot

"I haven't eaten in ten days and I overshot my target weight."
    "target weight" is the weight you seek (long for), for example, because you are a sportsman and it is very important to weigh not more or less than necessary in order to show good (satisfactory) results in some competitions or because you just want to keep fit. Since it is written that someone has overshot this figure (namely, their target weight), it means that they have not managed to get the weight required (in general, they have either eaten too much and for this reason have gained weight or have been starving for too long and as a result have lost too much weight). Here, in this sentence, it is said that one has not eaten for days and therefore they have become too slim (skinny, emaciated).

My translation is: "Я не ел/ела в течение 10 дней и не сумел/сумела добиться (= достичь) нужного (= необходимого) веса".

Q-cumber

My translation is: "Я не ел/ела в течение 10 дней и не сумел/сумела добиться (= достичь) нужного (= необходимого) веса".
    Hi Dmitry,

I daresay your translation isn't correct. 'Overshot' means 'go past a point unintentionally' <превзойти определенный уровень> . Since the author of the statement was going to reduce his weight to X kilograms, he definitely "сумел добиться нужного веса" and even passed the target weight.

Hi Dmitry,

I daresay your translation isn't correct. 'Overshot' means 'go past a point unintentionally' <превзойти определенный уровень> . Since the author of the statement was going to reduce his weight to X kilograms, he definitely "сумел добиться нужного веса" and even passed the target weight.
    That is clear that the person who had been starving for some time was looking forward to reducing their weight but I do not see anything wrong about my translation of "overshoot". This verb has the meaning of missing the intended point in both possible directions: towards the increasing and decreasing values, the latter being mentioned in the sentence. I agree that "overshoot" due to the prefix "over" is more likely to be encountered when one speaks about "exceeding somehing" but the opposite is also possible.

Приведите пример.
    The verb "overshoot" as explained above can be used when we mean that someone or something missed the target point. It can be used literally, for example, about trains or aircraft (the train overshot the platform; the aircraft overshot the runway) and also when we want to say that we have not managed to achieve the target result. In my opinion, in some contexts it does not matter at all whether some limit has been exceeded or on the contrary - the main idea is that this limit has not been established or found and therefore "overshoot" should be translated as "промахнуться", "не попасть в цель" as suggested by Maroseika above and the "direction" will be clear from the context (as in the case with weight where the person had been starving so as to eventually lose weight).

dec-sev

Russian
    The verb "overshoot" as explained above can be used when we mean that someone or something missed the target point. It can be used literally, for example, about trains or aircraft (the train overshot the platform; the aircraft overshot the runway)
    The train overshot the platform. — Поезд при остановке проскочил платформу.
    The aircraft overshot the runway. — Самолёт приземлился за посадочной полосой.
    (Lingvo dictionary)

"direction" обозначено достаточно ясно.

... and therefore "overshoot" should be translated as "промахнуться", "не попасть в цель" as suggested by Maroseika above...
    Я бы не стал на вашем месте записывать Maroseikу в союзники. Я думаю, что он с направлением определился правильно, но улучшить вариант elemikи ему, на мой взгляд, не удалось.

and the "direction" will be clear from the context
    Вам волю дай, так вы скажите, что overestimate в зависимости от контекста может означать и underestimate, и упраздните последнее за ненадобностью :)

(as in the case with weight where the person had been starving so as to eventually lose weight).
    Он не умирал от голода, а только не ел 10 дней :)

< Previous | Next >