I pass over the madness about parting from me

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 27) | Genius

Quotation: “I must part with you for my whole life: I must begin a new existence among strange faces and strange scenes.” (said Jane)

“Of course: I told you you should. I pass over the madness about parting from me. You mean you must become a part of me.

Context: Mr. R commanded Jane to leave for France with him, but she replied “I must part with you…”.
===
Hi everyone! I have a question about the bold part, especially the word “madness”. I try to interpret as below. Is it correct?

To pass over => [~ + over + object] to disregard; ignore:

The idea=> I disregard the crazy idea that you must part yourself from me; (I take the “reasonable” idea that you must become a part of me).

• Barque

Tamil
    You've understood the first sentence correctly.

You've got the second sentence too but there's a little more to it than that.

By the second sentence, he means: You haven't expressed yourself properly; you mean you must become a part of me rather than that you must part from me.

He's telling her that though she used "part" in one meaning, she actually meant another - he's trying to speak in a humorous way. (Which is not to say he didn't mean what he said.)

Last edited:

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    :idea: Thank you. With your explanation, I try to interpret it in another way.
    You haven't expressed yourself properly; you mean you must become a part of me rather than that you must part from me.
    If I rewrite it as "You haven't expressed yourself properly, because it's mad for you to part you from me; you mean you must become a part of me rather than that you must part from me", does it sound well?

Barque

Tamil
    The second sentence doesn't make any reference to his opinion that she would be mad to part from him, only the first.

(Actually, what I have been calling the first and second sentences are the second and third. The first is "Of course: I told you you should.")

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Jane: “I must part with you for my whole life: I must begin a new existence among strange faces and strange scenes.” (said Jane)

Mr. R. Paraphrased: “Of course: I told you you would begin a new life in a new place . I'm ignoring the nonsense about parting from me. You mean you must become a part of me.

< Previous | Next >