I prefer ... over ... but both are okay

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
大家好!

I am visiting 苏州 next week.
I am going to buy a return ticket at the train station.

There are two types of seats, 一等and二等。

I hear that seats get sold out quickly, so I want to say "I prefer 一等 over 二等, but both are OK."

谷歌把 "I prefer 一等 over 二等, but both are OK." 翻译成 "我宁愿一等过二等,但两者都OK。 (我寧願一等過二等,但兩者都OK。)"

Is it correct?

谢谢。

• retrogradedwithwind

Chinese
    An idiomatic one
    我想买一等座,二等也行

You had better add 座 to make your sentence clear. Of course since you probably use that sentence in a train station, it would be understandable.

SuperXW

I am going to buy a return ticket at the train station.
    There are two types of seats, 一等and二等。
    I hear that seats get sold out quickly, so I want to say "I prefer 一等 over 二等, but both are OK."
    谷歌把 "I prefer 一等 over 二等, but both are OK." 翻译成 "我宁愿一等过二等,但两者都OK。 (我寧願一等過二等,但兩者都OK。)"
    Is it correct?
    Retro's answer is good enough.
    Try not to equate "prefer...over" to “宁愿...过...”, or "both" to "两者都", because those are usually not the idiomatic ways in Chinese expressions.
    "宁愿..." conveys a mood that "the first choice is not good, but the second choice makes me feel worse". That's not the feeling when you are buying tickets.
    "过二等" doesn't make sense.
    "两者都" is formal language as in a math textbook. People usually don't talk in that way.

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
    谢谢 retrogradedwithwind for your sentence!

谢谢SuperXW for your explanation!
    Now I understand why the examples I found with "宁愿..." were all rather dramatic than simple "prefer A over B".

SuperXW

Now I understand why the examples I found with "宁愿..." were all rather dramatic than simple "prefer A over B".
    No problem.
    宁愿...也... is closer to "would rather...than..."
    我宁愿辞职也不给老板做这种事!"I'd rather quit than do this for the boss!"
    我宁愿死也不嫁给你!"I'd rather die than marry you!"

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
    谢谢回复!

我宁愿辞职也不给老板做这种事!"I'd rather quit than do this for the boss!"
    这种事我以前也碰到过。 ( This is a sentence I've just learned from another thread. I couldn't have constructed this sentence myself. ):D

< Previous | Next >