I put the shoes under the bed

Darth Nihilus

Brazilian Portuguese
Greetings!

I was chatting one of these days and I wished to say "I put the shoes under the bed". Then I met some difficulties, as follows:

1º) Regarding verb appropriateness:
I was unsure whether to use "legen" or "stecken". I'd go for "legen", but since I nearly "tossed" the shoes, I thought because of the movement I might use "stecken". Would both of them be possible/appropriate?

2º) Unter, Herunter, Hinunter:
Assuming that one opted for "legen", I'd use "Ich legte die Schuhe unter dem Bett". But I don't know if it's ok because the verb "legen" denotes movement and It's not I who is under the bed..so:

- Should it be "unter das Bett"?
- Or should we use Hinunter/Herunter in this case? How? With Akkusativ or Dativ?

Thank you all for reading!

• Demiurg

German
    It's "stellen" not "stecken" and only "unter" is a preposition:

Ich stellte die Schuhe unter das Bett. (movement)
    Ich stellte die Schuhe darunter.

But:
    Die Schuhe stehen unter dem Bett. (no movement)

Darth Nihilus

Brazilian Portuguese
    Danke Demiurg!

I'm confused about the usage of "stellen" though. Isn't it used to put things in a vertical position(shoes lie on the ground, they don't stand)? This issue has already been debated on this thread (forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1891893), and there was where I acquired my definition for "stellen".

Demiurg

German
    If afterwards the shoes are standing on their soles it's stellen/stehen, if they are lying on their sides it's legen/liegen.

Ich stelle die Stiefel in den Schrank.
    Ich lege die Stiefel in den Koffer.

slovac

It's "stellen" not "stecken" and only "unter" is a preposition:

Ich stellte die Schuhe unter das Bett. (movement)
    Ich stellte die Schuhe darunter.

But:
    Die Schuhe stehen unter dem Bett. (no movement)
    You used 'stellte ' in your first message, but 'stelle' in your second. Could you please tell me whether you made a typo or is 't' in the first message put intentionally?

Last edited:

Liam Lew's

You used 'stellte ' in your first message, but 'stelle' in your second. Could you please tell me whether you made a typo or is 't' in the first message put intentionally?
    It's not intentionally, just different tenses.

The problem is that the verb "put" is morphologically the same in past and present tense. Therefore the Op's sentence could be translated as both "Ich stelle die Schuhe unter's Bett" and "Ich stellte die Schuhe unter's Bett".

Hutschi

Hi, do you really mean "Schuhe" or "Hausschuhe"?
    I never put "Schuhe" under the bed but Hausschuhe or Pantoffeln. (In English there seems to be only "Slippers" to describe both Hausschuhe and Pantoffeln.)

If you mean "Schuhe" it is unusual at least in my area.

May be there is a cultural difference.

< Previous | Next >