I put too much salt in the food

Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
I have read the following sentence: "Ich habe zu viel Salz ins Essen gegeben" and I believe it means "I have put too much salt in the food". dict.cc and Duden dictionaries say that using "geben" with the meaning of "put" is a regionalism, but Google Translate translates that sentence from English to German exactly like that, so I am confused. Is it a regionalism or not?

If not, is that the most usual way of saying it in German? Is "Ich habe zu viel Salz ins Esse gestellt/gelegt/gesetzt/getan" a valid alternative?

• Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    I agree: "Getan" or "gegeben" would be appropriate verbs in this particular sentence, and I've also heard and used "ans Essen gemacht".

But I think I would normally say: Ich habe das Essen zu stark gesalzen.

Hutschi

I agree: "Getan" or "gegeben" would be appropriate verbs in this particular sentence, and I've also heard and used "ans Essen gemacht".

But I think I would normally say: Ich habe das Essen zu stark gesalzen.
    Me too.

There is a special word if it is much too much:

Ich habe das Essen versalzen. (normal style)

An additional question:
    can we say:
    Ich habe zu viel Salz ins Essen gegeben. (leicht gehobener bzw. formaler Stil)
    Ich habe zu viel Salz ins Essen getan. (normaler Stil.)
    Ich habe das Essen zu stark gesalzen. (normaler und formaler Stil)
    Ich habe das Essen versalzen. (normaler Stil.)
    Ich habe zu viel Salz ins Essen gemacht. (von vielen als "schlechter" Stil angesehen.)

Is this correct?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Is "Ich habe zu viel Salz ins Esse gestellt/gelegt/gesetzt/getan" a valid alternative?
    Just a comment: German does not have a "default" equivalent of "put." "Stellen," "legen," "setzen," "tun", and "geben" are some of the verbs that can correspond to "put," but here's the thing: they're all different and distinct. Rarely, if ever, will you be able to use any and all of them in the same context.

I see you have an older thread about this. ;)

Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
    Thanks for all the options. It was very helpful!

Ich habe zu viel Salz ins Essen gemacht. (von vielen als "schlechter" Stil angesehen.)
    You meant "ans", as Demiurg suggested, right?

I am not sure what you meant by "bad style". I am interested in colloquial speech, but I am not interested in incorrect German. Learning correct German is already challenging enough.

German does not have a "default" equivalent of "put." "Stellen," "legen," "setzen," "tun", and "geben" are some of the verbs that can correspond to "put," but here's the thing: they're all different and distinct. Rarely, if ever, will you be able to use any and all of them in the same context.
    I know that. My intent was asking which one of them would fit here. Thanks anyway. :)

Schlabberlatz

German - Germany
    I am not sure what you meant by "bad style". I am interested in colloquial speech, but I am not interested in incorrect German. Learning correct German is already challenging enough.
    It’s not wrong, but very colloquial. You can safely ignore it, that is: You needn’t learn it, because… see below. Colloquial expressions are often only used in certain regions. For speaking German (that is, for your active vocabulary), it’s enough to remember
    Ich habe das Essen zu stark gesalzen.
    or
    Ich habe zu viel Salz ins Essen getan.
    As to your passive vocabulary, the other versions are probably unproblematic, seeing that they are combinations of common words and expressions. "Ich habe zu viel Salz ins Essen gegeben": "zu viel", "Salz", "ins" ( = in das), "Essen", "geben" / "etwas in etwas geben". "etwas an etwas machen" is a bit unusual, but in most cases it should be clear from the context what is meant.

Edit: Deleted the confusing part.

Last edited:

Ptolemy2.18

German - (West)Germany
    Etwas hin(/da)zugeben is what I would expect to read in a recipe or hear from a chef. Hence "Etwas in die Suppe geben" or "Etwas zum Braten geben", appears to be really common to me. I would second Hutschi's claim, that it is slightly elevated style.

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Für Salz würde ich auf keinen Fall "zum Braten geben" verwenden.

Man kann m.E. Gemüse, Zwiebeln usw. zum Braten (in die Pfanne) geben, der Braten selbst aber wird gesalzen/ mit Salz gewürzt.

Last edited:

Hutschi

Für Salz würde ich auf keinen Fall "zum Braten geben" verwenden.

Man kann m.E. Gemüse, Zwiebeln usw. zum Braten in die Pfanne geben, der Braten selbst aber wird gesalzen/ mit Salz gewürzt.
    :tick::thumbsup:

I could say: Salz wird in die Soße gegeben, however. But I would also use "gesalzen".

For "fine tuning" we use:

"Die Soße/Suppe wird mit Salz abgeschmeckt."
    or Just: Die Suppe/Soße/das Essen wird abgeschmeckt. (Salt and spices are given in small dosis, and I try if it is enough. This is an iterative process.)

< Previous | Next >