I put up my house for sale/ I put my house up for sale.

Porbo

Spanish-Spain
Hi, can anyone comment on whether any of those two ways of expressing that one idiom is seen more than the other.

Thanks

• Myridon

English - US
    Yes, I would say that "up for sale" goes together instead of "put up". I can't think of anything else that would work in "I put up my house for _____." but you can say "I put my house on the market." with the same meaning as "I put my house up for sale."

Myridon

English - US
    Afterthought: You can also say "My house is up for sale." so "up" is not part of a phrasal verb "put up." there.

Porbo

Spanish-Spain
    Doubly transitive phrasal-prepositinal verbs, (Sidey Greenbaum,2000)

(1) They should be honest about it and put the plant up for sale.
    (1a) They should be honest about it and put up the plant for sale.

Also, 'So it seems it seems that if his captor dies exile is the only alternative to KEEP a politically undesirable person OUT of affairs'.

Last edited:

Porbo

Spanish-Spain
    Afterthought: You can also say "My house is up for sale." so "up" is not part of a phrasal verb "put up." there.
    Apparently it's a phrasal-prepositional verb with two objects. One is 'my house' and the other is 'for sale'. Or rather, the second object is SALE only that it is introduced by a preposition, FOR.

Language Hound

American English
    Myridon is correct that "up for sale" is a set phrase (and thus should not be split up).
    From the Farlex Dictionary of Idioms:

up for sale​

1. Made available to be purchased.
    A: "I just heard that the Watsons' house is up for sale." B: "Oh? I didn't know they were moving out!"
    I'm putting some of my stuff up for sale to help pay my bills.

And from the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs:

*up for sale​

Fig. available for purchase. (*Typically: be ~; come ~; put something ~.) When this lot comes up for sale, let me know.
    Is this property up for sale?

Language Hound

American English
    Doubly transitive phrasal-prepositional verbs, (Sidney Greenbaum,2000)

(1) They should be honest about it and put the plant up for sale.
    (1a) They should be honest about it and put up the plant for sale.
    What is the source of these two sentences?
    Was sentence 1a presented as a correct sentence or was this an exercise in which the student had to choose the correct sentence?

Porbo

Spanish-Spain
    What is the source of these two sentences?
    Was sentence 1a presented as a correct sentence or was this an exercise in which the student had to choose the correct sentence?
    They are presented as examples of 'doubly transive' phrasal-prepositional verbs.
    But I feel the one with the object in between verb and particle (I put MY CAR up for sale) is somehow better!

Language Hound

American English
    They are presented as examples of 'doubly transitive' phrasal-prepositional verbs.
    By whom? Sidney Greenbaum? Where are they presented, i.e., what is the name of the book?
    But I feel the one with the object in between verb and particle (I put MY CAR up for sale) is somehow better!
    I would go further and say it is correct and the other one is not.

Porbo

Spanish-Spain
    By whom? Sidney Greenbaum? Where are they presented, i.e., what is the name of the book?

I would go further and say it is correct and the other one is not.
    Hi L, The book is The Oxford Reference Grammar. By Sidney Greenbaum; Edited by Edmund Weiner, 2000. section 11.21.2 Doubly phrasal-prepositional verbs. Page 227.

nightowl666

Mandarin

Macmillan Dictionary:

up for sale​

1. 1
      available for people to buy
      put something up for sale:
      We’re putting the factory up for sale.