I really appreciate you having given me such a high rate

< Previous | Next >
  • MichaelW

English (British)
    Hard to say without context, please could you explain more about what you want to say?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    No, the sentence is incorrect.

You have been given praise, or a compliment; you have not been given a "rate".

Also notice that you should have said your instead of you:

I really appreciate your having given me ....

Even so, that is not a very natural sentence.

kitenok

Hi gamer,

Before we start a noisy debate on GWB's suggestion that you use "your" instead of "you" in this sort of sentence, see some previous threads here, here, and here. Opinions vary.

I agree with GWB that "a high rate" cannot be used to refer to praise. "Thank you for the compliment" or "I appreciate the compliment" would do the job nicely.

SRPGgamer

Chinese
    Hey GreenWhiteBlue

I know it's not a very natural sentence, would you mind showing me a natural sentence though?

also you said "I should have said your instead of you"

What about "I really appreciate you helping me out" <--why is this one considered correct?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "... such high marks" or " ... such a high rating" or " ... such a high score" All those might be possible replacements for rate if you are responding to a teacher who gave you a good "grade" after some test or assessment of your English skills.

"helping me out" can be considered as a noun phrase and if that is accepted (and I would), then you need an adjective to modify it : hence your not you.

< Previous | Next >