I rely on your tastes, I fall back on you

hyperslow

Polish
Hullo there!

I have not been here for a while and that makes me so excited. Well, let's dispose with the preliminaries and let me pose my question.
Setting: a cafe, a gorgoeus blonde or brunette or whatever across the table and obviously my not so gorgeous person.
We are sitting, chatting, you know, the usual thing, I'm bragging about something, she is giving an occasional chirp... We are talking about books and express our disappointments on the fact that Murakami was not granted the Prize and suddenly she asks what I think of ordering some pasta, I say why not, she asks what kind of pasta is my favourite ... AND NOW I want to something along the lines: I may have my own preferences but you have my consent to order, I simply rely on your tastes, I fall back on you...

I am fumbling for a suitable phrase or an idiom that would air what I have just described.

Cheers
hyp
Sorry for that stream of consciousness, I tried to catch up with the typing.

• ewie

English English
    I'll have whatever you're having was the first thing that came to mind.

You just have to hope she doesn't order something you loathe.

hyperslow

Polish
    These are certainly phrases I am likely to use but let's dig a bit deeper, please.

Last edited:

hyperslow

Polish
    What I meant by digging deeper was just a way of pleading for more (sophisticated) examples. May God strike my down If I used 'sophisticated' as opposite to your examples. Not at all. I find them hilarious, sophisticated, and whatnot.

ewie

English English
    I hazard to venture, Hyper, that if you said anything more sophisticated than HP's or my suggestions, your ladyfriend would be suppressing giggles behind her McDonalds serviette:cool:

heypresto

English - England
    I hazard to venture, Hyper, that if you said anything more sophisticated than HP's or my suggestions, your ladyfriend would be suppressing giggles behind her McDonalds serviette:cool:
    :D True. Honestly I can't think of anything 'more sophisticated' that wouldn't sound wholly contrived and pretentious. I can't imagine anybody, however formal, well-educated, or sophisticated they may be, saying anything but something idiomatic like the suggestions made above.

hyperslow

Polish
    Are you implying that I can only afford to invite her to Mc Donalds? :D Let's stop that, it's getting petty. Yes, let's try being poetish... even in McDonalds. She deserves it.:D

ewie

English English
    e.g.
    1. You have my consent to order
    2. I defer to your taste
    3. Whatsoever thou wouldst order, thereunto shall I also partake
    4. Your reputation as a connoisseur of fine dining precedes you, my dear. I place my dinner entirely in your capable hands
    etc. etc.
    You're permitted to say whatever takes your fancy, Hyper, at the risk of sounding a total charley. What people will actually say are the kinds of stuff HP and I have already mentioned
    :)

Embonpoint

English--American
    You could say something like 'Surprise me', or 'You choose', or 'I'll have what you're having'.
    All of these are also perfect in AE. Another classic line, is "What's good here?" That's not exactly what you asked for, but it serves the same purpose. She suggests something, and you approve it!

A request has been made to "dig deeper." Here are a few other options, all of which need are best used after something like "you choose" or "you decide."
    I put myself in your capable hands!
    I trust your judgement.
    You know this place better than I do.
    You know what I like. (Only if she knows you.)

Loob

English UK
    I'll have what you're having would work for me, hyper.

I suppose you could say Why don't you choose for me? But that would sound coy rather than sophisticated. And I imagine you're trying to impress the gorgeous lady....:cool:

hyperslow

Polish
    Blimey! This selection of poetry made my laugh outloud. Sidesplitting, seriously. 'I defer to you in this matter' is what makes me happy.
    Sorry for being a pain... At least we've had some fun.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    If you said 'I defer to you in this matter', I'd just think you were strange...:D

Embonpoint

English--American
    'I defer to you in this matter' is what makes me happy..
    Okay. But not to put too fine a point on it, this is a very humble way to put it. In fact, the statement would fit perfectly if the blonde is dressed head-to-toe in skintight black leather and you are looking forward to an evening of very strict discipline. So if that's the kind of dynamic you have with your blonde, then you're all set!

hyperslow

Polish
    I am, for that matter. :D Strange? Hold on a sec. I am sure there is a lady in the Milky Way that would find it 'cute' (I hate that word ..cuuute)

Embonpoint

English--American
    I am, for that matter. :D Strange? Hold on a sec. I am sure there is a lady in the Milky Way that would find it 'cute' (I hate that word ..cuuute)
    We're not here to judge your tastes. We're just here to find the right expression for every situation! If that is in fact your goal, you might take it one step further:

I defer to you in this, as in everything, ma'am.

Embonpoint

English--American
    Not in everything, Embonpoint, only when it comes to ordering pasta.:D
    In that case, I think what we're saying is that any wording which includes the words I defer to you is a bit strong, and may cause your blonde to misunderstand your intentions, as I did. If you really want to use defer, you could at the limit say I defer to your judgement.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >