I remember closing the door

< Previous | Next >

msilvi64

spanish
"I remember closing the door, but I'm not sure that I locked it"
Por favor, alguien podría decirme el motivo por el que se usa "closing", ya que a remember no le sigue el gerundio. POR QUÉ NO PUEDO DECIR: I remember that I closed the door, but I'm not sure that I locked it.
Gracias.
Silvia

Last edited:
  • donbill

English - American
    "I remember closing the door, but I'm not sure that I locked it"
    Por favor, alguien podría decirme el motivo por el que se usa "closing", ya que a remember no le sigue el gerundio. POR QUÉ NO PUEDO DECIR: I remember that I closed the door, but I'm not sure that I locked it.
    Gracias.
    Silvia
    "Closing" es el sustantivo verbal en inglés. En la oración que has puesto, es el complemento directo del verbo 'remember'. >>I remember something. What do I remember? I remember closing the door.

Como ha explicado ilvecchio, I remember that I closed the door también es correcto. La cláusula 'that I closed the door' es el complemento directo de 'remember'.

Varenkita

Spanish
    Un poco tarde, pero igual y sirve.
    La diferencia entre ambos con el verbo Remember es:
    Remember + gerundio: El gerundio se utiliza para hablar del pasado. Entonces I remember closing the door sería Recuerdo haber cerrado la puerta.
    Remember + infinitivo: El infinitivo se utiliza para el presente, futuro y sugerencias: I remember to close the door sería. Me acuerdo de cerrar la puerta.

bowarco

Spanish-Spain.
    I know this is a very old thread but is there any difference between...

I remember closing the door and I remember having closed the door.

Are they interchangable?.

Thank you very much.

donbill

English - American
    They are both correct, and they mean essentially the same thing. In many cases they would be interchangeable.

a. I remember closing the door every night at 10 p.m. when I lived there. (repeated, customary procedure)
    b. I remember having closed the door last night at 10 p.m., just before I heard a loud noise in the street. (I had just closed it when...)
    c. I remember closing the door last night at 10 p.m. last night, just before I heard a loud noise in the street.

I am not sure that I would use "having closed the door" in contexts that express repeated or customary action. But even in those cases, you could probably devise a context in which it would be suitable to use the construction. It seems to me that "I remember closing the door" is the more versatile of the two.

Wait for more responses.

Un saludo muy cordial

bowarco

Spanish-Spain.
    Hi donbill. Thank you very much. It is clear now. Reading your examples I have just noticed that we say the same in Spanish.

a. I remember closing the door every night at 10 p.m. when I lived there. (repeated, customary procedure) Recuerdo cerrar la puerta.... cuando vivía allí.( repeated actions).

b. I remember having closed the door last night at 10 p.m., just before I heard a loud noise in the street. (I had just closed it when...) Recuerdo haber cerrado la puerta justo antes de oir.... ( only one time, at that precise moment).

Muchas gracias.

donbill

English - American
    Hi donbill. Thank you very much. It is clear now. Reading your examples I have just noticed that we say the same in Spanish.

a. I remember closing the door every night at 10 p.m. when I lived there. (repeated, customary procedure) Recuerdo cerrar la puerta.... cuando vivía allí.( repeated actions).

b. I remember having closed the door last night at 10 p.m., just before I heard a loud noise in the street. (I had just closed it when...) Recuerdo haber cerrado la puerta justo antes de oir.... ( only one time, at that precise moment).

Muchas gracias.
    Un servidor :)

JonRT

English - Unites States
    I know this is a very old thread but is there any difference between...

I remember closing the door and I remember having closed the door.

Are they interchangable?.

Thank you very much.
    I hear only a slight difference - hardly worth mentioning; but since you asked I will try to briefly explain.
    The first emphasizes that you remember the action itself (that you remember physically closing the door).
    The second emphasizes that you remember the end result - that the door was, in fact, closed.
    At least, this is the difference that my ears hear. Again, only a minor difference - almost not even worth mentioning (in my opinion).

anahiseri

Spanish (Spain) and German (Germany)
    Remember to close the door! - Acuérdate de cerrar la puerta. (Se trata de mantener en la memoria algo que uno quiere o debe hacer.
    I remember closing (having closed) the door - Yo me acuerdo en el sentido de traer a la memoria, visualizar, algo que hice. Me acuerdo de haber cerrado la puerta / de que la cerré

< Previous | Next >