I Remember Vs I Just Remembered Vs I've just remembered

pixy33

persian
I Remember Vs I Just Remembered

or maybe the last one is I've just remembered .

Which one of these sentences is more natural when you're thinking about a question and suddenly find the answer?

is there any differences between them ?

< Edited to remove bolding and reduce text to default size. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Linkway

British English
    If you say "I've just remembered", it suggests that before that moment you had no recollection of the incident/person, etc.

eg

Investigator: Do you recognize the man in this photo?
    Suspect: No, I don't.
    Investigator: Didn't he used to work with you in the 1980s?
    Suspect: Oh, yes. I've just remembered. It's coming back to me now. He was dismissed for misusing the photocopier. But I still can't remember his name.

That's quite different from this other example:

I remember my first day at secondary school. I was so nervous, I could never forget it.

Phil-Olly

Scotland, English
    "I've just remembered" is BE usage ("just", "yet", and "already" almost always with the perfect tense in BE)
    whereas
    "I just remembered" is more likely to be AE usage if employed in Linkway's scenario.

However - "At first I told him I didn't know, and then I just remembered the answer." would be fine in BE

Hermione Golightly

British English
    As I write, nobody seems to have mentioned the huge differences between use of present perfect and the simple past. Yes, there are huge differences!
    We need very clear context to help you. Your question seems to be about the usage of past simpleand present perfect forms. Without detailed context I am unable to comment.
    Please give us some detailed context.

Last edited:

pixy33

persian
    If you say "I've just remembered", it suggests that before that moment you had no recollection of the incident/person, etc.

eg

Suspect: Oh, yes. I've just remembered. It's coming back to me now. He was dismissed for misusing the photocopier. But I still can't remember his name.

I remember my first day at secondary school. I was so nervous, I could never forget it.
    :thumbsup:

pixy33

persian
    As I write, nobody seems to have mentioned the huge differences between use of present perfect and the simple past. Yes, there are huge differences!
    We need very clear context to help you. Your question seems to be about the usage of past simple and present simple forms. Without detailed context I am unable to comment.
    :thumbsup:

pixy33

persian
    We need very clear context to help you. Your question seems to be about the usage of past simple and present simple forms. Without detailed context I am unable to comment.
    :thumbsup::)

pixy33

persian
    We need very clear context to help you. Your question seems to be about the usage of past simpleand present perfect forms. Without detailed context I am unable to comment.
    the context is exactly what Linkway provided ;

investigator: Do you recognize the man in this photo?

Rafiz hossain khan

Bangla

eg

It would be better if you explain about "I just remembered"

Linkway

British English
    It would be better if you explain about "I just remembered"

At the moment, I can think of two separate reasons for using "I just remembered":

1. In informal uses, it can mean "I have just remembered" eg "Look at the time! I just remembered my dental appointment."
    (Here, "just" means now or a few moments ago or very recently.)

2. When talking about the past, and using a different meaning of "just", you could say, for example:

How did I survive in solitary confinement for six years? I just remembered my family, my wife and my children and seeing them again one day.
    (Here, "just" means something like only, solely, or mainly; I remembered those (specified) things and tried to exclude other (negative, painful) thoughts about my situation.)

eg

Hello there

please help me with this if u can,

what about if is past tense like this:

i just remembered your name or i just did remember your name ?? Thanks in advance

heypresto

English - England
    I just remembered your name. :tick:
    I just did remember your name. :cross:

Note we always start sentences with a capital letter, and always capitalise the personal pronoun 'I'. Also note that 'u' isn't a word in English. It's used in text messages, but not here.