I remembered to buy the food.

New Hero

English - United States
Hello everyone. I'm learning German for fun, and now I'm thinking up English sentences that I might say in German sometime if I go to Germany ever or happen to run in to German speakers.

Just wondering how I would say, "I remembered to buy the food." I'm pretty new at German so I would attempt this sentence with the following: "Ich habe mich erinnert kaufen das Essen."

But then I know there's that rule where the past participle needs to go at the end of the sentence? or does it? Thank you.

• kayokid

English, USA
    Hello.

I believe the sentence should end with "... das Essen zu kaufen."

Somehow I think I might have started the sentence differently -- maybe something like:

Ich habe nicht vergessen, das Essen zu kaufen.

But I'm not a native speaker so wait for confirmation and/or other comments.

Schlabberlatz

German - Germany
    kayokid:
    Ich habe nicht vergessen, das Essen zu kaufen.
    … is correct, but "Essen" is mostly used for food that has already been prepared: http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Essen_Nahrung_Mahl_Gericht
    … so it could be better to say "Ich habe nicht vergessen, die Lebensmittel zu kaufen."

If it’s clear from the context that you are talking about remembering to do something – and not about "thinking about" something – you can also say "Ich habe daran gedacht, die Lebensmittel zu kaufen."

kayokid

English, USA
    … is correct, but "Essen" is mostly used for food that has already been prepared: http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Essen_Nahrung_Mahl_Gericht
    … so it could be better to say "Ich habe nicht vergessen, die Lebensmittel zu kaufen."

If it’s clear from the context that you are talking about remembering to do something – and not about "thinking about" something – you can also say "Ich habe daran gedacht, die Lebensmittel zu kaufen."
    Lebensmittel :thumbsup:

Vielen Dank!

< Previous | Next >