I remembered turning/ to turn it off

< Previous | Next >

Kross

Korean
Hello, all

Could you tell me why turning is not appropriate to the blank of the below dialogue. (This is from a grammar exercise. The book says that to turn is the correct answer here.)
A: Oh, no, I think I left the oven on!
B: Don't worry, I remembered __________ it off before we left.
According to a book, Basic English Usage by Michael Swan on page of 134, it says that we remember doing things in the past - things that we did, while we remember to do things which we have to do. From that point of view, do we need to choose turning for the blank because B is talking about the past thing he/she saw before they left?

• owlman5

English-US
    I'd probably use "turning" in that sentence as Swan suggested. I'd never thought about the topic before, but his suggestion makes sense to me.

However, both "turning" and "to turn" sound normal to me in that sentence. I suppose that "I remembered to turn it off before we left" implies that I remembered what I should do before I actually did it.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I remember tunring it off - the image of me turning it off is now in my mind.
    I remembered to turn it off - I did not forget to turn it off = I did turn it off

I remembered turning it off - this one is possible, or at least grammatical, but sounds weird to me. The fact that you saw (past tense) an image of yourself turning off the oven is hardly relevant.

boozer

Bulgarian
    Hey, Mr. Owl, the blank is preceded by a verb in the past tense - remembered. Would you still use turning to fill in the blank? :confused: I agree that 'I remember turning it off' is a good sentence, but we are not offered that option here...

Procol

British English
    I agree with Boozer. "Remember to do something" and "Remember doing something" do not mean the same thing. The first is "not forgetting' and the second is "picturing in the mind".

owlman5

English-US
    Hey, Mr. Owl, the blank is preceded by a verb in the past tense - remembered. Would you still use turning to fill in the blank? :confused: I agree that 'I remember turning it off' is a good sentence, but we are not offered that option here...
    That's a good point, Mr B. I didn't think about that when I answered earlier.

< Previous | Next >