I returned to Canada by land via port of Windsor

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sunyaer, Dec 27, 2011.

1. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    Is this sentence "I returned (from the United States) to Canada by land via the port of Windsor, Ontario" a correct one?

2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Yes, it is, though I'm not sure why it's important to mention that Windsor is a port if you returned by land (presumably from Detroit).

3. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    Reference to "the port of" implies a return by sea (or lake). If you drove over, it would be better to say, "via the bridge at Windsor, Ontario." If you actually did come across by watercraft, then you couldn't really say "by land."

4. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    Yes, Actually, I returned from Detroit by driving. So, should it be "I returned (from the United States) to Canada by land via the port of Detroit."? I want to mention the Custom as well.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    The main problem with "I returned (from the United States) to Canada by land via the port of Windsor, Ontario" is that it misleads the reader as they read it.

First there is "by land", with its expectation of "terrestrial" followed by "the port" with its expectation of water borne.

Then there comes the question of "Which
    other Windsor could you have used that was not a port?" This makes the reader stumble further.

It may well be that the writer is conducting a survey of port facilities and usually travels by ship but, without any context, the sentence is a mess and would be better off as, I returned to Canada via Windsor."

6. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    How would I add the information that I returned to Canada by driving? Also, I would like to add the Custom name where I entered into Canada. This is a letter sent to U.S. for updating information regarding departure from the U.S.

7. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

Is the border crossing at Detroit called The Port Of Windsor? That doesn't seem likely.

8. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    It's not. There are two vehicle crossings, a bridge and a tunnel. The port, on the St. Lawrence Seaway, is separate from them.

9. Grady412

Grady412 Senior Member

United States
    English - US
    Sunyaer, I suggest you use the term "port of entry" instead of just "port." That is the term Customs officials will be familiar with.

10. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

I don't think we use the word "port" to describe a border crossing point on land. I'm not sure how it's designated in Canada but it wouldn't be a port here. The San Diego-Tijuana border crossing is not a port, for example.

11. ribran

ribran Senior Member

Austin, Texas
    English - American
    I disagree. In most normal contexts, a port of entry is simply "a place where one may lawfully enter a country." (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_entry)

12. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    Try: "I returned to Canada via Windsor and cleared customs and immigration there." If there is another Windsor on the Canadian border, then you could write Windsor, ON.

13. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

From the cited Wikipedia entry (highlighting added):

So a border crossing could be part of a port of entry but it may not be. Now I'm curious if the Tijuana border crossing falls under the Port Of Entry of San Diego. Hmmm... I'll see if I can find out.

14. ribran

ribran Senior Member

Austin, Texas
    English - American
    Exactly. That's why I said "in most normal contexts."

15. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

I'm just saying that I wouldn't use "Port of Entry" unless I knew that the place I entered actually was a Port of Entry and was named Windsor. (It turns out that the Tijuana border crossing has its own Port of Entry - San Ysidro Port of Entry - rather than San Diego Port of Entry.)

16. Grady412

Grady412 Senior Member

United States
    English - US
    Port of entry is a fairly common expression with both US and Canadian customs officials, and includes air, sea and land.

17. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    A port of entry, in the legal sense, doesn't have to be a "port" in the sense of a place where ships tie up. If you fly to the U.S. from Mexico on American Airlines, there's a good chance that Dallas (surrounded by lots of Texas land, but no navigable waterways) will be your port of entry.

18. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

I now understand that Port Of Entry is a designation for a place to enter a country. Thanks for the education, everyone. :)

I'm still not sure I would say "I entered Canada via the Windsor Port of Entry" unless I knew that was the official name of the location where I entered, particularly if I'm writing a letter to a government agency.

I prefer MuttQuad's suggestion: "I returned to Canada via Windsor and cleared customs and immigration there."

19. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    "I left the US for Canada via the land border at Detroit/Windsor"

20. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    "I entered Canada at Windsor, Ont., via the Ambassador Bridge from Detroit."
    "I entered Canada at Windsor, Ont., via the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel."

I don't think there are any other options if you drove a private automobile.

21. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    This is the crucial context. I would expect it would be more important to let the US authorities know where you left the US (Detroit) rather than where you went after leaving the US. But that's not really an English question. However, using the terminology the US authorities expect is a good idea, so referring to leaving the US through "the Detroit port of entry" might be useful. (There doesn't seem to be the term Port of Exit :( )

US Customs and Border Protection uses port of entry for one of the forms needed to cross the border