I said the truth to one of my friends. I said you should listen to me sometime or som

claude23

Banned
FRANCE
Hi,

I said the truth to one of my friends. I said you should listen to me sometime or sometimes ? What should I use between those two ?

Thank you,

Claude

• CAMullen

US, English
    Actually, I believe it's more usual to say, "I told the truth" than "I said the truth."

For your question, though, the one to use depends upon what you mean. In this case, "sometime" would mean "at some time in the future," while "sometimes" would mean "occasionally."

Aupick

UK, English
    Sometimes means 'on certain occasions', 'somewhat frequently, but not always'.
    Examples:
    - I sometimes go swimming on the weekend.
    - Sometimes I forget to take my umbrella.

Sometime means 'at some point in time'. It's used for a single occasion (where 'sometimes' suggests frequency), and is usually used with a second adverbial expression of time.
    Examples:
    - You need to finish this report sometime in the next few days.
    - She should arrive sometime soon.
    - They're going to buy a house sometime in the near future.

I think that depends on how many times you want him to listen to you. If you want him to make a habit of listening then the first one is correct. The second alternative means 'One of these days you should, just for once, listen to me'. I say this with some hesitation, since I'm not sure if the American usage is different.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    claude23 said:
    I told the truth to one of my friends. I said "You should listen to me sometime or sometimes?" Which of those two should I use?
    You should say "you should listen to me sometimes".

Claude23
    • You need to put quotation marks around a direct quotation.
    • We do not put a space between the last character of a sentence and the punctuation mark.
    • You also need to only highlight the words you are asking us to choose - please don't highlight the "or", or any other words.
    • You need to ask "Which of" if you are offering a choice - "What should I use between those two" invited us to insert something into your sentence.

< Previous | Next >