< Previous | Next >

spyd33

polish
<<I savour ubiquitiously impeccable atmosphere>>

Can you say something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • spyd33

polish
    Thank you for the reply. Well, I made it up myself. I want to say that I value good atmosphere at particular place.

suzi br

English / England
    What sort of place?

I suppose a place like a restaurant can have an impeccable atmosphere, but what does ubiquitously add to that?

"having or seeming to have the ability to be everywhere at once; omnipresent"

An atmosphere, by its nature, is everywhere in a restaurant, isn't it?

Also, even if we agree on the meaning of this, I think you need an article or pronoun: THE atmosphere.

spyd33

polish
    Hmm, I guess you're right. Basically I was told to write a few sentences about myself for the job purpose, I didn't like the idea so I want to troll it with something hard to understand for those who are not native:)

And I like the word ubiquitous a lot.

suzi br

English / England
    Well if you don't really want to impress people with your CV then saying stuff that doesn't make sense should work! ;)

wandle

English - British
    <<I savour ubiquitiously impeccable atmosphere>>

Can you say something like this?
    It is good for a chuckle.

Taking it seriously for a moment, an atmosphere can hardly be impeccable, since it is indefinable and dependent upon impressions.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think I get the idea of what you are doing spyd33, but you need to study the meaning of these "fancy" words in a dictionary.
    "Ubiquitous" as you probably know means "seeming to be seen everywhere". It is rather a nice word, but I can't see it meaning "at a particular place". It is closer to "all over the place" - "Once a rarity, sushi restaurants are now ubiquitous even in the Greek islands."

It can express slight contempt, because when something is very freely available we tend not to rate it very highly.

An example from Merriam-Webster dictionary:
    • "by that time cell phones had become ubiquitous, and people had long ceased to be impressed by the sight of one"
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ubiquitous

I don't think I've ever come across the adverb "ubiquitously", and I'm not sure what it might mean. I certainly don't know how to use it.:D

cando

English - British
    If you wanted your words to have an intelligible meaning but still deliver them with a supercilious tone of sophistication, you could write:

"I greatly value a pervasive atmosphere of harmony". (or perhaps you mean "efficiency" ?)

Good luck with not getting the job :)

spyd33

polish
    Hey, thanks for updates - I really appreciate it. No worries, it's for the job I already have :)

Since this stupid sentence drew so much attention, I will certainly go for it. I bet someone will eventually google it and end up reading it here.

< Previous | Next >