I saw her climb/climbing/how she was climbing

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
I saw her climb the tree - talking about the fact of climbing
I saw her climbing the tree - talking about the process of climbing
I saw how she was climbing the tree - talking about the way of climbing (e.g. she was climbing carefully/slowly/awkwardly)
Am I right?
Thank you.

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I agree with you, Vik. Your #1 means she completed the act of climbing the tree (whatever that means for you).
    #2: You saw her during the act of climbing the tree; she may or may not have reached the top.
    If we are allowed to mention other languages on this forum—is this like perfective and imperfective in Russian?

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    If we are allowed to mention other languages on this forum—is this like perfective and imperfective in Russian?
    :thumbsup::)

I took it as you agree with #3, too.
    By the way, in Russian, for the example 2 and 3 I'd use the same sentence but with a different stressing on a word:
    I saw how she was climbing the tree (about the process of climbing -- loan translation from Russian)
    I saw HOW she was climbing the tree
    (about the way of climbing, an accent on 'how')

Hence:), a question: if my third example is right, should I stress the word 'how' in example #3 in English (when speaking) as well?

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    The same two meanings of "how" occur in English.
    You would have the option of stressing "how" to clarify that you mean "the way in which",
    but—at least in speech—it might also be said without stress on "how" and thus would be ambiguous.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The same two meanings of "how" occur in English.
    You would have the option of stressing "how" to clarify that you mean "the way in which",
    but—at least in speech—it might also be said without stress on "how" and thus would be ambiguous.
    Ah, I see, here is this meaning of how:
    5. used after certain adjectives or verbs to refer to an event or situation:
    It’s amazing how they’ve managed to get everything finished so quickly.
    I remember how she always used to have fresh flowers in the house.

Thank you!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >