I saw only HIS school.

ssakr

English
Hi, I know that if I wanted to say "I saw only his school." I would say ما رأيت إلا مدرسته but what if I wanted to put the emphasis not on school but on "his"? Would I say ما رأيت مدرسة إلا ه?‎

• analeeh

English - UK
    I think لم أرَ إلا مدرستَه هو is the correct form. Emphasis is achieved by adding an independent pronoun.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    What would هو be in this sentence? Would it be a تأكيد of the pronoun ه in مدرسته? I don't think that's possible because the تأكيد is one of the five توابع, and the rule is that the تابع and متبوع are in the same case, i.e. they're both مرفوع or both منصوب or both مجرور. Here, ه is مجرور because it's the مضاف إليه, while هو is, of course, مرفوع. So, it can't be a تأكيد.

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    What would هو be in this sentence? Would it be a تأكيد of the pronoun ه in مدرسته? I don't think that's possible because the تأكيد is one of the five توابع, and the rule is that the تابع and متبوع are in the same case, i.e. they're both مرفوع or both منصوب or both مجرور. Here, ه is مجرور because it's the مضاف إليه, while هو is, of course, مرفوع. So, it can't be a تأكيد.
    It’s true that توكيد must follow المؤكَّد, the exception is when you want to emphasize ضمير متصل, in this case you must use ضمير الرفع المنفصل whether alone or with the words نفسه وعينه.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    But the تاكيد is one of the five توابع, right? By definition, the تابع must have the same حالة as the متبوع. Here that is not the case.

Abbe

Swedish
    It's not the case here because it's an exception to the rule as mentioned by mahaodeh

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Mahaodeh: So, if you wanted to emphasize the مفعول به in, say, رأيته 'I saw him.', would you say رأيته هو or رأيته إياه?