I saw the woman in the garden

< Previous | Next >

Pertinax

BrE->AuE
This sentence is ambiguous in English - it could be me or the woman situated in the garden, or it could mean "I saw the woman who was in the garden". Is it correct that:
nakita ko ang babae sa jardin = I saw the woman (present) in the garden
.. regardless of the position of "sa jardin"? E.g.
sa jardin nakita ko ang babae = In the garden I saw the woman (in the sense that the woman was situated there).

And can I say:
nakita ko ang babae na nasa jardin = I saw the woman who was in the garden.
nakita ng lalaki na nasa jardin ang babae = The man who was in the garden saw the woman.

How do I say "I, who was in the garden, saw the woman."? Is this as awkward in Tagalog as it it is in English? Can I say:
??nakita ko na nasa hardin ang babae.
or do I need a circumlocution like:
nasa hardin ako; nakita ko ang babae.

• DotterKat

English (American)
    ......How do I say "I, who was in the garden, saw the woman."? Is this as awkward in Tagalog as it it is in English?
    Some possible translations are:
    1) Nasa hardin (OR halamanan) ako nang nakita ko ang babae. I was at the garden when I saw the woman.
    2) Habang nasa hardin / halamanan ako, nakita ko ang babae. While I was at the garden, I saw the woman.
    3) Nakita ko ang babae habang nasa sa hardin / halamanan ako. I saw the woman while I was at the garden.

...Can I say:
    ??nakita ko na nasa hardin ang babae.
    This means I saw that the woman was in the garden and carries the idea that the woman was in one place and not in another. Thus it does not convey the principal idea of the first sentence, that of the actor (and not another person) seeing the woman in the garden.

...or do I need a circumlocution like:
    nasa hardin ako; nakita ko ang babae.
    These two disjointed independent clauses simply need the nang conjunction (instead of a semicolon) to make the sentence flow:
    Nasa hardin ako nang nakita ko ang babae.

< Previous | Next >