I saw you spat it out into the rubbish bin.

< Previous | Next >

Indomie

mandarin
I was eating bread and my son came to me and took a bite.

He went to rubbish bin and spat it out.

Then he came back again and wanted to take a bite.

"No, you didn't eat it. I saw you spat it out into the rubbish bin."

"No, you didn't eat it. I saw you spat it into the rubbish bin."

We normally say "spat it out.", how do I combine these into a sentence? Or just ommit the "out"?

• MarcB

US English
    In AE spit or spat can be used, in other varieties only spat is used. I am sure foreros will tell you which they use. Edit: I saw you spit is only possible here. Spit/Spat was meant for past tense which what I answered first.

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    "No, you didn't eat it. I saw you spit it [out] into the rubbish bin."

This would be the BE way of saying it, with "spit" being present tense (= I watched you spitting it out).

Hermione Golightly

British English
    BE: 'Spat' is not correct. Verbs like 'see' and 'hear' are followed by the infinitive without 'to', the bare infinitive, or sometimes, a verbal noun, -ing word
    I saw him spit it out.
    I heard her sing this song in 1964.

Loob

English UK
    In AE spit or spat can be used, in other varieties only spat is used. I am sure foreros will tell you which they use.
    Are you talking about the past tense of the verb "spit", Marc? I wouldn't use the past tense in Indomie's sentence: I'd use the bare infinitive.

Cross-posted:)

Copyright

American English
    As much as I prefer "I saw you spit it into the rubbish bin," I can see the past tense being used this way: "I saw (that) you spat it into the rubbish bin."

< Previous | Next >