I second that

< Previous | Next >

AirbusA321LR

German
I've often come across "I second that", e.g. in the Facebook comments section, when people want to express that they agree with what somebody else wrote before. Now my question is: Can I also say "I second that" when I'm not the second one to comment but maybe the 3rd or 4th or 20th who replies to the original comment?

• e2efour

UK English
    I don't see why not, although you might well say I also second that.

You are not taking part in a procedure which calls for a proposer and a seconder.

Linkway

British English
    The expression "I second that" comes from the jargon used in formal meetings, in trade unions, political parties, sport/hobby club committee meetings etc)

When someone (the proposer) wants to propose a "resolution" (a formal proposal to be discussed before being voting on), the resolution needs a seconder (someone else who is willing to support the resolution) BEFORE it can be discussed. The names of both the proposer and the seconder are recorded in the 'minutes' of the meeting.

So you can say "I second that" to express your agreement to something even in informal communication (eg social media).

You may hear someone say (very informally) "I third that", but that is just being humorous.

< Previous | Next >