I settled in for an adventure.

< Previous | Next >
  • Kee Lin

Chinese
    Under what circumstance can I say ''I settled in for an adventure'' or is it bad grammar?
    The grammar is fine, but it's up to you to provide some context for it. We can then say whether you're using it correctly or appropriately.
    I know you can put new job/ new home/ new shcool life after settle in/into. Does it mean I can put it after settle in as long as it's something new, something you have to make adjustment, try to be used to?

Myridon

English - US
    "Settle" implies coming to a "resting" state. The only way I could say "Settle in to an adventure" is if I were getting myself into a comfortable situation to watch an adventure movie or read an adventure book.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Settle in" means to relax, not doing anything energetic. It has the image of sitting quietly in a comfortable chair. We sometimes talking about "settling in" to a new home or a new job. That means becoming comfortable there, until the new situation "feels ordinary".

An adventure is the opposite: it implies action, travel, excitement, new places, unexpected situations.

So "settle in for an adventure" does not make sense.

Kee Lin

Chinese
    "Settle in" means to relax, not doing anything energetic. It has the image of sitting quietly in a comfortable chair. We sometimes talking about "settling in" to a new home or a new job. That means becoming comfortable there, until the new situation "feels ordinary".

An adventure is the opposite: it implies action, travel, excitement, new places, unexpected situations.

So "settle in for an adventure" does not make sense.
    Thanks. 😁

Kee Lin

Chinese
    "Settle" implies coming to a "resting" state. The only way I could say "Settle in to an adventure" is if I were getting myself into a comfortable situation to watch an adventure movie or read an adventure book.
    Thanks

kentix

English - U.S.
    I agree that it suggests you are settling into a comfortable chair to read a book about adventurous things.

< Previous | Next >