I <shall> insist on

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Helen tells Rudy:
- ... when I do get married it's not gonna be for love, or sex or romance. I can get all of those things outside of marriage just as easily as you can. (...........) And I shall insist on the right to have as many love affairs as I please. I'm certainly not going to sacrifice one iota of my freedom or dignity for any man.
Sex and the Single Girl, movie

Explain, please, the meaning of 'shall' here.
Thanks.

Last edited:
  • JustKate

Shall is seldom used in AmE. If Hellen is supposed to be an AmE speaker, what her using shall indicates is that she is being very, very definite because about the only time shall is generally used in AmE is in the most formal of contexts, such as when writing a legal document. Whenever it's used in regular speech, the person does know knowing that she sounds like she's quoting a law.

JenSie

English-USA
    "Shall" is similar in meaning to "will", having a future meaning. "Shall" however, also means to be under an obligation to do something, therefore it is not simply in indicator of the time when something will occur. So, it seems that the character Helen is quite determined to have as many love affairs as feels like having. She isn't leaving it to chance.

e2efour

UK English
    You can tell by hearing how she says it. If she stresses it, she is declaring a strong intention, as JustKate says, or she is determined, as JenSie says.
    In BE it is simply an alternative to will, although if stressed it expresses determination.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    You can tell by hearing how she says it. If she stresses it, she is declaring a strong intention, as JustKate says, or she is determined, as JenSie says.
    In BE it is simply an alternative to will, although if stressed it expresses determination.
    She is walking with a dancing step, while saying the phrase, but sounds quite determined:D

< Previous | Next >