I shifted my opinion that he was a intruder to a wanderer.

LQZ

Mandarin
1 I shifted my opinion that he was a intruder to a wanderer.
2 I shifted my opinion that he was a intruder to he was a wanderer.
3 I shifted my opinion that he was a intruder to one that he was a wanderer.

Dear all,

The above were made by me. I wrote the first following my instinct, but was wondering whether I should shift one opinion to another opinion, rather than a wanderer. So I rephrased it twice. Could you please tell me which one is correct? Thanks.

LQZ

• Murphy

English, UK
    I'm afraid I don't think any of your sentences are correct. First of all, you have to say "an intruder" not "a intruder". Then I wouldn't use the verb "shift" with "opinion". A different verb like "change" would work much better. I also don't think we would say "I changed my opinion that he was......" but "I changed my opinion about him/his being...". Finally, I think you need a separate clause to express what you are trying to say in the second part of the sentence.

My suggestion would be:
    I changed my opinion about his being an intruder and decided/realised that he was actually a wanderer.

owlman5

English-US
    Murphy's remarks make a lot of sense to me, LQZ.

Here's another option: I changed my opinion about him. At first I thought he was an intruder, but now I think he's a wanderer.

kalamazoo

US, English
    Or you could say "I changed my mind about him. At first I thought he was an intruder, but now I think he's a wanderer." Actually the second sentence is all you really need, as it conveys all the information that is included in the first sentence anyway.

< Previous | Next >