I should have left him alone.

Toadie

English
I'm trying to say "I should have left him alone." I'm a bit confused with the whole modal verbs/lassen in the past tense thing.

Should I say:

"Ich sollte ihn in Ruhe gelassen haben."
or
"Ich sollte ihn in Ruhe lassen haben."

?
Or possibly something entirely different?

Thanks.

• Jana337

čeština
    What you wrote sounds like "I allegedly left him alone".

It should be (in my opinion :D): Ich hätte ihn in Ruhe lassen müssen/sollen.

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    I completely agree with Jana, and would like to specify:

- Ich hätte ihn in Ruhe lassen müssen: emphasizes that it would have been imperative to leave him alone

- Ich hätte ihn in Ruhe lassen sollen: emphasizes that it probably would have been better to leave him alone

Hutschi

I'm trying to say "I should have left him alone." I'm a bit confused with the whole modal verbs/lassen in the past tense thing.

Should I say:

"Ich sollte ihn in Ruhe gelassen haben."
    or
    "Ich sollte ihn in Ruhe lassen haben."

?
    Or possibly something entirely different?

Thanks.
    The second sentence is not correct. It mixes time forms. Correct - but not as translation - is, for example, "Ich sollte ihn in Ruhe/allein lassen."
    The first sentence seems to be correct in a grammatical sense. At least in coll. language, the form is used quite often. Im not fully sure whether it is in standard but I do not see that it hurts any rule at the moment, except style. I would also prefer "Ich hätte ihn in Ruhe/allein lassen sollen".

allein lassen - (neutral, not remain with him, not visit him)
    in Ruhe lassen - (not bother him)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >