I should have thought

< Previous | Next >

Tony100000

Portuguese
Does this expression mean "It was expected to be obvious" in this sentence?
I can't quite understand it.

Example:

Mariah: Why can't I turn the television on?
John: I should have thought it was obvious. The TV is not plugged in.

Thanks in advance!

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    John is saying he expected that it would be obvious to Mariah that the TV wasn't plugged in. That is, she should have checked to see.

sound shift

English - England
    I hear a lot of older BrE speakers (myself included) say "I should have thought it was obvious". It's the same as "I would have thought it was obvious". I agree with MuttQuad about the meaning.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I also agree with MuttQuad entirely.
    And with Giorgio. It is not the "should" of obligation, but rather the " 'should' for 'would' " of that variety of English (perhaps "older BrE speakers", as sound shift said)
    that uses the "sh-" forms in the first person: I shall, you will, he/she will, we shall,...
    Not found in Am.Eng.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    It is not the "should" of obligation, but rather the " 'should' for 'would' " of that variety of English (perhaps "older BrE speakers", as sound shift said)
    that uses the "sh-" forms in the first person: I shall, you will, he/she will, we shall,...
    Not found in Am.Eng.
    We spend at least a week in ninth-grade English class going over when to use will/would and when to use shall/should. I never did get it straight. :) I think the only way I would use should in that sense is in the sentence "I should think so" (or variants thereof).

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I also agree with MuttQuad entirely.
    And with Giorgio. It is not the "should" of obligation, but rather the " 'should' for 'would' " of that variety of English (perhaps "older BrE speakers", as sound shift said)
    Not found in Am.Eng.
    Those forms are still found in American English, you just have to find them. :) There are regions where those forms are used.

< Previous | Next >