I should sit here & be entertained

Bobobo

España, español
Hi, I was traying to translate these words of Zadie Smith (via Boing Boing) into spanish and I have a couple of questions. Any help is welcome, here I go:

But the problem with readers, the idea we’re given of reading is that the model of a reader is the person watching a film, or watching television. So the greatest principle is, "I should sit here and I should be entertained." And the more classical model, which has been completely taken away, is the idea of a reader as an amateur musician. An amateur musician who sits at the piano, has a piece of music, which is the work, made by somebody they don’t know, who they probably couldn’t comprehend entirely, and they have to use their skills to play this piece of music. The greater the skill, the greater the gift that you give the artist and that the artist gives you. That’s the incredibly unfashionable idea of reading. And yet when you practice reading, and you work at a text, it can only give you what you put into it. It’s an old moral, but it’s completely true.
So here are my two questions:
So the greatest principle is, "I should sit here and I should be entertained."
How should I translate this pair of shoulds? I want to be precise... And:
It’s an old moral, but it’s completely true.
Is "old moral" a term itself? I've translated this as "Es una moral antigua, pero es completamente cierta." but I wonder if "old moral" is usually translated as "tópico" or something like that.

Well, this is my first message here, I welcome myself and thank you all!!!

:p

• Bobobo

España, español
    Si el sitio de estas preguntas no es este, o etc, también agradezco luz sobre eso... Todavía no estoy muy familiarizado con este foro. Gracias.

If this is not the place for these questions or etc, enlighten me please... I'm not used to this forum at all. Thanks.

Santiago Jorge

English, USA
    Welcome to the Forum!

On the first one, “I should sit here and I should be entertained.” = «Debo sentarme aquí y debo estar entretenido». The first part of this sentence could be translated to «Debo quedarme aquí sentado y. . .» as it has a bit of that “feel” to it.

The last one is harder, because it is an unusual use of the word “moral.” I would say: «Es moraleja antigua, pero aún completamente cierta». Again, the “feel” that you might to incluye here in Spanish is «Es moraleja antigua, pero aún completamente cierta».

I hope this helps!
    :)

kazijistan

Chile and Spanish
    "Moral" is also translated as "moraleja". That is to say, the supposed lessons that somebody learns after reading or hearing a story.

kazijistan

Chile and Spanish
    "I should sit here and should be entertained".: Yo me deberìa sentar aquì y deberìan entretenerme"

Bobobo

España, español
    ¡Gracias! Ya veo que esto funciona estupendamente... Me quedo con "Debo sentarme aquí y debo estar entretenido" y con "Es una moral antigua, pero es completamente cierta", y lo dejo así:
    Pero el problema con los lectores, la idea que recibimos de la lectura es que el modelo del lector es la persona viendo una película, o viendo la televisión. Así que el mayor principio es, "Debo sentarme aquí y debo estar entretenido". Y el modelo más clásico, que ha desaparecido completamente, es la idea del lector como un músico amateur. Un músico amateur que se sienta al piano, tiene una pieza musical, que es la obra, hecha por alguien a quien no conocen, a quien probablemente no podrían comprender por completo, y tienen que usar sus habilidades para interpretar esta pieza de música. Cuanto mayor es la habilidad, mayor es la dádiva que le das al artista y la que el artista te da. Esa es la increíblemente pasada de moda idea de la lectura. Y aun así cuando lees, y trabajas en un texto, este sólo puede darte lo que pones en él. Es una moral antigua, pero es completamente cierta. (Zadie Smith)
    ¿Es lo que dijo ella?

< Previous | Next >