I sign for it later.

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
In the local country club, two female friends are having drinks. One to the other:
— Do we pay him [the waiter] now or--
— Uh-uh. I sign for it later.
The Gift, movie

Could you tell me what "sing for" means in this context and why it is "I sign" and not "I'll sign"?
Thank you.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    1. "Sign for" means that she will sign something that indicates her obligation to pay the bill according to the terms of her club membership. Typically, bills such as this are paid monthly.

2. The present tense is used because this is a habitual action. She always signs such a piece of paper at the end of a meal or after drinks.

Cross-posted.

heypresto

English - England
    It's a habitual 'sign', not a future 'sign'.

I suspect she signs her bills, and then pays them all together at a later date. Maybe monthly, or quarterly?

Multi-crossed.

Myridon

English - US
    A country club (as the word "club" suggests) has members. The members usually have paid a large fee just to join and have monthly dues to pay. Since they have a "permanent" relationship with the club and are already paying monthly, the club also allows them to charge things to their account and pay for them along with their dues.
    Some hotels allow guests to sign for things in the restaurants, gift shops, etc and pay for them when they checkout.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    A country club (as the word "club" suggests) has members. The members usually have paid a large fee just to join and have monthly dues to pay. Since they have a "permanent" relationship with the club and are already paying monthly, the club also allows them to charge things to their account and pay for them along with their dues.
    Some hotels allow guests to sign for things in the restaurants, gift shops, etc and pay for them when they checkout.
    Yes, according to the context, too, the second speaker is a member of the club, while the first is not.
    Thanks!

< Previous | Next >