I slept like at 4 a.m. or something.

< Previous | Next >

Jackie4ever

Korean

Does it mean I was in the middle of sleeping at the time, or I began to sleep at the time, or I woke up at 4.a.m?

Thanks in advance~^^

• Dimcl

Canadian English

Does it mean I was in the middle of sleeping at the time, or I began to sleep at the time, or I woke up at 4.a.m?

Thanks in advance~^^
    This sentence means nothing. Could you please supply some background? Where did you hear this sentence? Who said it and in what context was the conversation taking place?

Jackie4ever

Korean
    This sentence means nothing. Could you please supply some background? Where did you hear this sentence? Who said it and in what context was the conversation taking place?

There is no context in the book. It is sort of a pattern like the expressions below. And that is it. What should I do? Sorry.

I slept like a log.
    I slept like a baby.
    I slept like 13 hours.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    The use of "like" in your third and fourth sentences is terrible slang and should absolutely not be used. In the first and second sentences, like is being used to mean "in the same manner as" and is correct.

If we remove "like" from your fourth sentence, we then have "I slept at 4 a.m. or something" which still is far from idiomatic. If the meaning is as Paxal thinks, a native-speaker would almost invariably say "I went to sleep at about 4 A.M." or "I fell asleep at about 4 A.M." or "I finally slept at about 4 A.M."

"I slept at 4 A.M. or something" sounds awkward to me.

Paxal

French
    The use of "like" in your third and fourth sentences is terrible slang and should absolutely not be used. In the first and second sentences, like is being used to mean "in the same manner as" and is correct.

If we remove "like" from your fourth sentence, we then have "I slept at 4 a.m. or something" which still is far from idiomatic. If the meaning is as Paxal thinks, a native-speaker would almost invariably say "I went to sleep at about 4 A.M." or "I fell asleep at about 4 A.M." or "I finally slept at about 4 A.M."

"I slept at 4 A.M. or something" sounds awkward to me.
    I agree entirely with Dimcl that "I slept like at 4 a.m. or something" sounds substandard or at the very least not idiomatic. I would say "I went to sleep at about 4 am" too.

Xander2024

Russian
    Hello everyone,
    I was about to ask the same question. I'm using a children's coursebook written by H.Q. Mitchell, who I believe is a native speaker, and there are sentences like "They sleep at 10 o'clock" or "He slept at 9 o'clock". In each case it is supposed to mean "go to sleep". I am wondering if the author thinks it makes things easier for children to understand?

sdgraham

USA English
    I am wondering if the author thinks it makes things easier for children to understand?
    We can't read the (sometimes "alleged") minds of authors, and it seems to be an invitation for that accursed "speculation."
    My children all knew "go to sleep" as soon as they understood anything.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I wouldn't use those phrases (in Jackie's post).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >