I Spy

bandog

Canada English
Does anyone know whether or not a French version of the children's
game "I Spy" exists?

Moderator's note: several threads have been merged to create this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • clopac

French - France
    I don't think we really have a game like "I spy".
    There's a game called "le portrait" where one person has to guess what is the object/person/animal the other person is thinking of. But it doesn't have to be something you can see. It can even be something imaginary.
    So, not quite the same.

bandog

Canada English
    Oh no ... I wanted to play it with a young relative who is enrolled in
    French immersion school ... I thought it would be an ideal vocabulary
    builder :(

MELU!!
    Please ... can you tell me the lines from your game that is similar
    to the I Spy game??

Last edited by a moderator:

melu85

France/French
    the point is to think of something around you and let the others guess what it is by asking questions but as I say, we don't have any specific lines. or maybe I just don't know it.

bandog

Canada English
    I see ...
    Would it be possible to translate the lines into French for me?
    first person: "I spy, with my little eye, something that is (colour - i.e., red when "spying" an apple)
    second person: "is it (guess object - i.e., the bird in the picture)

jryeo

English
    Is there a French equivalent to the game I Spy? This came about in conversation with my mum in an attempt to practice for my french oral, somehow we ended up playing I Spy! However, we would be interested to know, a) If the game is even known or played in France, and b) Is there a standard phrase used in France when playing the game (As in "I spy with my little eye...")?

I know that a rough direct translation would be "Je vois, avec mon petit oeil," but does this actually make sense or is there a more idiomatic phrase?

curlyangie

French - France
    a)In France, the game is played in English Classes in Primary schools, but as far as I know, it's not a traditional game as it is in English speaking countries.

b) l'idée de 'mon petit doigt m'a dit' ne convient pas à mon avis car c'est bien avec les yeux qu'on observe et trouve 'something beginning with a...'

franc 91

English - GB
    Y is for Why do I spy with my little eye? (is part of a sound alphabet I have created for French children) Y c'est pourquoi j'aperçois avec mon petit oeil?

Arzhela

French
    Hello everybody,
    Does somebody know what is the French equivalent for this sentence please:
    "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with" ? I'm not looking for the translation which is easy to find but for the French equivalent. I know this is the sentence from a classic quiz game but what is the French name of this game?
    Thank you very much for your help.

Arzhela

French
    One idea for wording this game, suggested be Le Club Français some years ago, was:

-J'ai vu, turlututu, quelque chose qui commence par .... .

The 'turlututu' rhyme, although nonsense, was very popular with the children!
    I'm afraid that "turlututu" is a little too childish in my example. People who are playing are grown-ups and college teachers :)

hirondelled'hiver

Je reprends cette discussion, ayant le même genre de jeu à traduire.

Je ne vois pas quelle genre de devinettes on aurait en France qui ressemblerait à ça.

Peut-être:
    "Jacques a dit...je commence par un J"

qui dit mieux?

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hi, Lacuzon (#2), I thought "Mon petit doigt m'a dit" is like "A little bird(ie) told me", meaning "I've heard a rumor that---", without naming the source?

Kecha

French (France)
    I don't think "I Spy" is known and played, but similar games are played.
    "Devine à quoi je pense, ça commence par..."
    Popular car games with kids: "Je vais au marché", "Ni oui, ni non", "Pas d'i, pas d'o"

I found "Devine ce que je vois avec mes petits yeux grands ouverts ..." but it sounds like it was just directly borrowed from the English.

< Previous | Next >