I started wearing glasses but I <hadn’t got used><didn't get used> to it

Karolajnaa9

Polish
Ok, here is the thing. One student of mine wanted to describe his experience with wearing glasses and the thing is that I got lost in what he said.

We have three activities that he wanted to mention:
  1. wearing glasses
  2. not getting used to it
  3. wearing contact lenses

How should he adjust tenses? I will offer you two options discussed during the lesson and I look forward to your help or confirmation if the way of thinking is correct.

A) I started wearing glasses but I hadn’t got used to it so I exchanged them into contact lenses.

B) I started wearing glasses but I didn’t get used to it so exchanged them into contact lenses.

The explanation is:

In sentence A, past perfect is used to say that since the student was born till he exchanged glasses into contact lenses he hadn’t got used to wearing them. (Maybe he had had some opportunities to do it before he started wearing glasses.)

Is the way of thinking correct? Are the tenses ok? Can we say that sentence?

In sentence B, the student wanted to point out that he didn’t get used to wearing glasses within the period of time between starting and exchanging glasses into contact lenses. (We are not interested in what might have happened before he started wearing glasses if he had had some occasions to get used to it or not.)

Which sentence in more natural in English? Which would you say?
Why, if so, is any of them incorrect?

• grassy

Polish
    I'd say I started wearing glasses but I couldn't get used to them so I exchanged them for contacts.
    The past perfect would be wrong in that sentence.

Loob

English UK
    I'd say I started wearing glasses but I couldn't get used to them so I exchanged them for contacts.
    The past perfect would be wrong in that sentence.
    I'm with grassy, with the minor detail that I might say "contact lenses" instead of "contacts" (both work).

< Previous | Next >