I stood in front of her, muscles tense, waiting for the moment she would explode.

Nightowll

Italian
Context: Your boss happens to be a scary madam. You made a major mistake at job and she blew up on you. Later you are describing the moment just before you got screamed at.

I stood in front of her, my muscles tense, waiting for the moment she would explode.

I stood in front of her, muscles tense, waiting for the moment she would explode.

I'm wondering if I can say muscles tense rather than my muscles tense like the above, because I sometimes see expressions like eyes watering and mouth twitching without possessive pronouns preceding them. Do you think I can say muscles tense instead of my muscles tense?

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Nightowll. Yes, you can use "muscles tense" rather than "my muscles tense" in that sentence. The shorter version will look and sound normal in a narrative about what you did and how you felt.

heypresto

English - England
    Yes, you can omit the 'my'. In fact I think it sounds better without the 'my'.

Note we don't use 'madam' in this way. If your boss was a madam, you'd be a prostitute working in a brothel. ;)

Cross-posted.

< Previous | Next >